Breast Density into Clinical Practice
It is well established that breast density is related to breast cancer risk; making that connection precise, and understanding how to use it in clinical practice, has been a major academic focus since the 1970’s. However, it transpires that the first clinical uses of breast density have not been for risk prediction, rather they are for judging when to recommend further imaging. In this paper, we show how scientific research has had to be adapted in order to create the automated volumetric breast density assessment tool, Volpara®, to make it ready for actual clinical use and how it is impacting patient management.
KeywordsBreast density BI-RADS®
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Arora, N., King, T.A., Jacks, L.M., Stempel, M.M., Patil, S., Morris, E., Morrow, M.: Impact of Breast Density on the Presenting Features of Malignancy. Ann. Surg. Oncolol. 17, S211–S218 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Berg, W.A., et al.: Combined Screening with Ultrasound and Mammography vs Mammography Alone in Women at Elevated Risk of Breast Cancer. JAMA 303(15), 1482 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Steenbergen, S., Weigert, J.: The Connecticut Experiment: The Role of Ultrasound in the Screening of Dense Breasts. RSNA (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Berg, W.A., Campassi, C., Langenberq, P., Sexton, M.J.: BIRADS: Inter-and Intra-Observer Variability in Feature Analysis and Final Assessment. AJR 174(6), 1769–1777 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Ciatto, S., Visioli, C., Paci, E., Zappa, M.: Breast Density As a Determinant of Interval Cancer At Mammographic Screening. Breast Journal of Cancer 90, 393–396 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Martin, K.E., Helvie, M.A., Zhou, C., Roubidoux, M.A., Bailey, J.E., Paramaqul, C., Blane, C.E., Klein, K.A., Sonnad, S.S., Chan, H.P.: Mammographic Density Measured with Quantitative Computer-Aided Method: Comparison to Radiologists’ Estimates and BI-RADS categories. Radiology 240(3), 656–665 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Shepherd, J.A., Herve, L., Landau, J., Fan, B., Kerlikowske, K., Cummings, S.R.: Novel Use of Single X-ray Absorptiometry for Measuring Breast Density. Technol. Cancer Res. Treat. 4(2), 173–182 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Highnam, R., Brady, M.: Mammographic Image Analysis. Kluwer Academic Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Van Engeland, S., Snoeren, P.R., Huisman, H., Boetes, C., Karssemeijer, N.: Volumetric Breast Density Estimation From Full-Field Digital Mammograms. IEEE Medical Imaging 25(3) (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Kopans, D.: Breast Imaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (2003)Google Scholar