On Solving the Profit Maximization of Small Cogeneration Systems
Cogeneration is a high-efficiency technology that has been adapted to small and micro scale applications. In this work, the development and test of a numerical optimization model is carried out in order to implement an analysis that will lead to the optimal design of a small cogeneration system. The main idea is the integration of technical and economic aspects in the design of decentralized energy production considering the requirements for energy consumption for the building sector. The nonlinear optimization model was solved in MatLab®environment using two local optimization methods: the Box and the SQP method. The optimal solution provided a positive annual worth and disclosed reasonable values for the decision variables of the thermo-economic model. Both methods converged for the same solution, demonstrating the validity of the implemented approach. This study confirmed that the use of numerical optimization models is of utmost importance in the assessment of energy systems sustainability.
Keywordscogeneration model thermoeconomics numerical optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bejan, A., Tsatsaronis, G., Moran, M.: Thermal design and optimization. John Wiley and Sons Inc. (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Directive 2002/91/EC. Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council. On the energy performance of buildings. Official Journal of the European Union, December 16 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Directive 2004/8/EC. Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council, On the promotion of cogeneration based on a useful heat demand. Official Journal of the European Union, February 11 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Directive 2010/31/EU. Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council, On the energy performance of buildings (recast). Official Journal of the European Union, May 19 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Leão, C.P., Teixeira, S.C.F.T., Silva, A.M., Nunes, M.L., Martins, L.A.S.B.: Thermoeconomical optimization in the design of small scale and residential cogeneration systems. In: Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE 2009, Florida, USA, 13089, 5 pages (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Marques, F.M.: Análise termo-económica no desenvolvimento de sistemas de cogeração de pequena escala para edifícios, Master Thesis in Mechanical Engineering, University of Minho, Portugal (2011) (in portuguese)Google Scholar
- 13.Martins, L.B., Ferreira A.C.M., Nunes, M.L., Leão, C.P., Teixeira, S.F.C.F., Marques, F., Teixeira, J.C.F.: Optimal Design of Micro-Turbine Cogeneration Systems for the Portuguese Buildings Sector. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2011 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE 2011–64470, (DVD), Denver, Colorado, USA, 8 pages (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Nocedal, J., Wright, S.J.: Numerical Optimization. Springer Science and Business Media LLC (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Rao, S.S.: Engineering Optimization Theory and Practice, ch. I, 4th edn. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Rodriguez-Toral, M.A., Morton, W., Mitchell, D.R.: Using new packages for modelling, equation oriented simulation and optimization of a cogeneration plant. Chemical Engineering 24, 2667–2685 (2000)Google Scholar