Fixed-Parameter Tractability, A Prehistory,
Many of the foundational parameterized tenets discussed in this festschrift actually predate by over a decade the first systematic treatments of fixed-parameter tractability. In this frank, firsthand account I will, to the best of my recollection, describe some of the earliest research avenues Mike Fellows and I pursued that would turn out later to be highly relevant to parameterized complexity. Although we did not know it at the time, these were the origins and formative years of this burgeoning new field. Readers unfamiliar with the history of fixed-parameter tractability may be surprised to learn that its initial motivations arose from, of all things, automation and optimization for integrated circuit design.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Vertex Cover Layout Problem Very Large Scale Integration Theoretical Computer Science
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, J., Kanj, I.A., Xia, G.: Simplicity is beauty: Improved upper bounds for vertex cover. Technical Report TR05-008, DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Fellows, M.R., Langston, M.A.: On search, decision and the efficiency of polynomial-time algorithms. In: Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 501–512 (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Kashiwabara, T., Fujisawa, T.: An \(\cal NP\)-complete problem on interval graphs. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 657–660 (1979)Google Scholar
- 13.Levin, L.A.: Universal enumeration problems. Problemic Peredaci Informacii (Russian) 3, 115–116 (1972)Google Scholar