Design of Reconfigurable Automotive Framing System
This research introduces new systematic methods dealing with a complete end-to-end design process to production systems, where the uncertainty of product variety is mapped to product attributes and manufacturing processes, then mapped into a manufacturing and production line using product decomposition into systems, sub-systems, and modular assembly. Graph network (NW), change propagation index (CPI) and hybrid design structure matrix (HDSM) were introduced to: (1) establish connectivity between sub-systems (modules) before mapping design changes, (2) measure the degree of changes to the state of systems due to changes propagated through the entire systems, (3) estimate how much embedded flexibility is needed for these elements (design variables) to absorb future changes. A practical example of actual production systems was presented. Hybrid Design Structure Matrix (HDSM) is used to transmit knowledge gained, detailing design of production systems.
KeywordsReconfigurable manufacturing systems Automotive framing systems Design methodology Digital manufacturing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Al-Zaher, A., ElMaraghy, W., Pasek, Z.J.: Robust and Cost-Effective Design of Automotive Framing Systems Using Reconfigurability Principles. In: The 2nd Canadian Quality Congress, Toronto, ON, Canada (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Al-Zaher, A., ElMaraghy, W., Pasek, Z.J.: Enabling Car Body Customization through Automotive Framing Systems Design. In: ElMaraghy, H.A. (ed.) Enabling Manufacturing Competitiveness and Economic Sustainability. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Automobilesreview.com. Body structure, http://www.automobilesreview.com/category/car-makes/holden/ (accessed)
- 4.Baulier, D.: Automotive Vehicle Framing Systems. Canada patent application 10/668,525 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Koren, Y.: The Global Manufacturing Revolution: Product-Process-Business Integration and Reconfigurable Systems. Wiley (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Kusiak, A.: Interface Structure Matrix for Analysis of Products and Processes. In: CIRP international Conference on Life Cycle Engineering (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Siddiqi, A., de Weck, O.L.: Modeling methods and conceptual design principles for reconfigurable systems. Journal of Mechanical Design 130, 101102-1 (2008)Google Scholar