Analysis of Periodically Gated Vacation Model and Its Application to IEEE 802.16 Network
- 624 Downloads
In this paper we consider the analysis of an M/D/1 vacation queue with periodically gated discipline. The motivation of introducing the new periodically gated discipline comes from the stochastic behavior of a kind of contention-based bandwidth reservation mechanism applied in wireless networks. The analysis utilizes a former result from polling model, which expresses the number of customers at arbitrary epoch in terms of the number of customers at start and end of vacations. The mean and the probability-generating function of the number of customers at arbitrary epoch are determined.
In the last part of the paper we demonstrate the application of the model to the non real-time uplink traffic in IEEE 802.16-based wireless broadband networks.
Keywordsqueueing theory vacation model Markov chain contention-based bandwidth reservation IEEE 802.16
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.IEEE 802.16-2009, Part 16: Air Interface for Broadband Wireless Access Systems, Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Saffer, Z.: An introduction to classical cyclic polling model. In: Proc. of the 14th Int. Conf. on Analytical and Stochastic Modelling Techniques and Applications (ASMTA 2007), pp. 59–64 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Saffer, Z., Yue, W.: Analysis of Multi-Server Queue with Synchronous Vacations and Gated Discipline. In: 6th International Conference on Queueing Theory and Network Applications (QTNA 2011), Seoul, Korea (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Takagi, H.: Queueing Analysis - A Foundation of Performance Evaluation, Vacation and Prority Systems, vol. 1. North-Holland, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 13.Yue, W., Takahashi, Y., Takagi, H.: Advances in Queueing Theory and Network Applications. Springer Science + Business Media, New York (2010)Google Scholar