Analytical and Stochastic Modelling of Battery Cell Dynamics
- 730 Downloads
In this work we present and discuss a modelling framework for the basic discharge process which occurs in simple electrochemical battery cells. The main purpose is to provide a setting for analyzing delivered capacity, battery life expectancy and other measures of performance. This includes a number of deterministic and stochastic variations of kinetic battery models. The primary tool is a novel phase plane analysis of the balance of nominal and theoretical capacity. In particular, we study spatial versions of such models which lead to a linear diffusion equation with Robin type boundary conditions under scaling. Explicit solutions are obtained by considering reflected Brownian motion.
KeywordsPhase Plane Theoretical Capacity Terminal Voltage Nominal Capacity Battery Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chiasserini, C.F., Rao, R.R.: Energy efficient battery management. IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Communication 19(7) (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Jongerden, M.R., Haverkort, B.R., Bohnenkamp, H.C., Katoen, J.P.: Maximizing System Lifetime by Battery Scheduling. In: Proceedings of the 39th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Jongerden, M.R., Haverkort, B.R.: Lifetime improvement by battery scheduling. In: 27th Annual UK Performance Engineering Workshop, UKPEW (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Manwell, J., McGowen, J.: Extension of the kinetic battery model for wind/hybrid power systems. In: Proc. fifth European Wind Energy Association Conf., pp. 284–289 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Mehrer, H.: Diffusion in Solids: Fundamentals, Methods, Materials. In: Diffusion-Controlled Processes. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Rao, V., Singhal, G., Kumar, A., Navet, N.: Battery model for embedded systems. In: 18th International Conference on VLSI Design (2005)Google Scholar