Perfect Sampling of Networks with Finite and Infinite Capacity Queues
We consider open Jackson queueing networks with mixed finite and infinite buffers and analyze the efficiency of sampling from their exact stationary distribution. We show that perfect sampling is possible, although the underlying Markov chain has a large or even infinite state space. The main idea is to use a Jackson network with infinite buffers (that has a product form stationary distribution) to bound the number of initial conditions to be considered in the coupling from the past scheme. We also provide bounds on the sampling time of this new perfect sampling algorithm under hyper-stability conditions (to be defined in the paper) for each queue. These bounds show that the new algorithm is considerably more efficient than existing perfect samplers even in the case where all queues are finite. We illustrate this efficiency through numerical experiments.
KeywordsMarkov Chain Stationary Distribution Queueing Network Coalescence Time Jackson Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anselmi, J., Gaujal, B.: On the efficiency of perfect simulation in monotone queueing networks. In: IFIP Performance: 29th International Symposium on Computer Performance, Modeling, Measurements and Evaluation, Amsterdam (October 2011), ACM Performance Evaluation ReviewGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bolch, G., Greiner, S., de Meer, H., Trivedi, K.: Queueing Networks and Markov Chains. Wiley-Interscience (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Busic, A., Gaujal, B., Vincent, J.-M.: Perfect simulation and non-monotone Markovian systems. In: 3rd International Conference Valuetools 2008, Athens, Greece. ICST (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Dopper, J., Gaujal, B., Vincent, J.-M.: Bounds for the coupling time in queueing networks perfect simulation. Celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Markov, pp. 117–136 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Kelly, F.: Reversibility and Stochastic Networks. John Wiley & Sons Ltd (1979)Google Scholar
- 8.Kendall, W.S.: Notes on perfect simulation. Dept. of statistics, University of Warwick (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Pin, F., Busic, A., Gaujal, B.: Perfect sampling of Markov chains with piecewise homogeneous events. Technical Report 163442, arXiv (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Pin, F., Busic, A., Gaujal, B.: Acceleration of perfect sampling for skipping events. In: Valuetools, Paris (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Vincent, J.-M.: Perfect simulation of monotone systems for rare event probability estimation. In: WSC 2005: Proceedings of the 37th Conference on Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 528–537 (2005)Google Scholar