A Virtual File System for Streaming Loading of Virtual Software on Windows NT
With the cloud computing and virtualization technology popularizing and developing, the Software as a Service (SaaS), has become an innovative software delivery model. In this environment, if the virtual software runs in traditional way, that is to start up after completely downloaded, it will be time-consuming and greatly influence the users’ experience. However, the streaming execution mode will enable the virtual software to start up while downloading. According to this conception, we design and implement a virtual file system for streaming delivery of software. The experimental results show that the first startup times of virtualized software have reduced by 20% to 60% and the users’ experience has been improved effectively.
KeywordsCloud Computing File System Startup Time Software Repository Client Machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Troni, F., Silver, M.A.: Use Processes and Tools to Reduce TCO for PCs, Update, Gartner Group (2005-2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Ma, D.: The Business Model of "Software As A Service". In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2007), pp. 701–70 (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Huai, J., Li, Q., Hu, C.: CIVIC: A Hypervisor Based Virtual Computing Environment. In: Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhong, L., Wo, T., Li, J., Li, B.: A Virtualization-based SaaS Enabling Architecture for Cloud Computing. In: ICAS 2010 (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhong, L., Wo, T., Li, J., Li, B.: vSaaS: A Virtual Software as a Service Architecture for Cloud Computing Environment. e-Science (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.App-V (November 3, 2010), http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/mdop/app-v.aspx
- 7.Symantec Workspace Streaming, http://www.symantec.com/en/hk/business/workspace-streaming
- 8.Thinstall, Application virtualization: A technical overview of the thinstall application virtualization platform, http://www.creekpointe.com/helpdesk/pdf/Thinstall_ApplicVirtualization.pdf
- 9.VMware ThinApp for Application Virtualization, http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html