An AI Based Online Scheduling Controller for Highly Automated Production Systems
Highly automated production systems are conceived to efficiently handle evolving production requirements. This concerns any level of the system from the configuration and control to the management of production. The proposed work deals with the production scheduling level. The authors present an AI-based online scheduling controller for Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems (RMSs) whose main advantage is its capacity of dynamically interpreting and adapting any production anomaly or system misbehavior by regenerating on-line a new schedule. The performance of the controller has been assessed by running a set of closed-loop experiments based on a real-world industrial case study. Results demonstrate that the capability of automatically synthesizing plans together with recovery actions severely contribute to ensure a high and continuous production rate.
- 3.Terkaj, W., Tolio, T., Valente, A.: Designing Manufacturing Flexibility in Dynamic Production Contexts. Des. Flex. Prod. Syst. Methodol. Tools 1–18 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Koren, Y., Heisel, U., Jovane, F., Moriwaki, T., Pritschow, G., Ulsoy, G., Van Brussel, H.: Reconfigurable manufacturing systems. CIRP Ann. Manufact. Technol. 48(2), 527–540 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Terkaj, W., Tolio, T., Valente, A.: Design of focused flexibility manufacturing systems (FFMSs). Des. Flex. Prod. Syst. Methodol. Tools 137–190 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Carpanzano, E., Cesta, A., Orlandini, A., Rasconi, R., Valente, A.: Closed-loop production and automation scheduling in RMSs. In: ETFA. International Conference on Emergent Technologies and Factory Automation (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Rasconi, R., Policella, N., Cesta, A.: Fix the schedule or solve again? Comparing constraint-based approaches to schedule execution. In: COPLAS-06. Proceedings of the ICAPS Workshop on Constraint Satisfaction Techniques for Planning and Scheduling Problems (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Valente, A., Carpanzano, E., Brusaferri, M.: Design and implementation of distributed and adaptive control solutions for reconfigurable manufacturing systems. In: CIRP Sponsored ICMS. International Conference on Manufacturing Systems (2011)Google Scholar