Refinement-Based Development of Timed Systems
Refinement-based development supported by Event-B has been extensively used in the domain of embedded and distributed systems design. For these domains timing analysis is of great importance. However, in its present form, Event-B does not have a built-in notion of time. The theory of refinement of timed transition systems has been studied, but a refinement-based design flow of these systems is weakly supported by industrial strength tools. In this paper, we focus on the refinement relation in the class of Uppaal Timed Automata and show how this relation is interrelated with the data refinement relation in Event-B. Using this interrelation we present a way how the Event-B and Uppaal tools can complement each other in a refinement-based design flow. The approach is demonstrated on a fragment of an industrial case study.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abrial, J.-R.: Modeling in Event-B: System and Software Engineering. Cambridge University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Chaudhari, D.L., Damani, O.P.: Generating hierarchical state based representation from Event-B models. In: Proceedings of the B 2011 Workshop. ENTCS, vol. 280 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Chimisliu, V., Wotawa, F.: Abstracting timing information in UML state charts via temporal ordering and LOTOS. In: AST 2011, pp. 8–14. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.David, A., Larsen, K.G., Legay, A., Nyman, U., Wasowski, A.: Timed I/O Automata: A complete specification theory for real-time systems. In: HSCC 2010. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). IEC 61508-6: Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems, 2nd edn. (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Iliasov, A., Laibinis, L., Troubitsyna, E., Romanovsky, A., Latvala, T.: Augmenting Event-B modelling with real-time verification. Technical Report 1006, TUCS (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Lynch, N., Vaandrager, F.: Forward and backward simulations - Part II: Timing-Based systems. Information and Computation 128 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Sarshogh, M.R., Butler, M.: Specification and refinement of discrete timing properties in Event-B. Technical report, Electronic and Computer Science, University of Southampton (2011)Google Scholar