Partially-Supervised Plants: Embedding Control Requirements in Plant Components
Supervisory control deals with automated synthesis of controllers based on models of the uncontrolled system and the control requirements. In this paper we share the lessons learned from synthesizing controllers for a patient support system of an MRI scanner regarding the specification of the control requirements. We learned that strictly following the philosophy of supervisory control, which partitions specifications in an uncontrolled plant and control requirements, may lead to unnecessarily complex specifications and duplication of information. In such cases, the specification can be substantially simplified by embedding part of the control requirements in so-called partially-supervised plants. To formalize the new concepts, we apply a recently developed process-theoretic approach to supervisory control. The new method for analysis of the models provides a better insight into their underlying behavior, which is demonstrated by revisiting the models of the industrial study.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baeten, J.C.M., Basten, T., Reniers, M.A.: Process Algebra: Equational Theories of Communicating Processes. Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 50. Cambridge University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Baeten, J.C.M., van Beek, D.A., Luttik, B., Markovski, J., Rooda, J.E.: A process-theoretic approach to supervisory control theory. In: Proceedings of ACC 2011, pp. 4496–4501. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Cassandras, C., Lafortune, S.: Introduction to discrete event systems. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Forschelen, S.T.J.: Supervisory control of theme park vehicles. Master’s thesis, Systems Engineering Group, Eindhoven University of Technology (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.van Glabbeek, R.J.: The linear time–branching time spectrum I. In: Handbook of Process Algebra, pp. 3–99 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Leijenaar, J.F.: Supervisory Control of Document Processing Machines. Master’s thesis, Systems Engineering Group, Eindhoven University of Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Markovski, J., Jacobs, K.G.M., van Beek, D.A., Somers, L.J.A.M., Rooda, J.E.: Coordination of resources using generalized state-based requirements. In: Proceedings of WODES 2010, pp. 300–305. IFAC (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Petreczky, M., van Beek, D.A., Rooda, J.E.: Supervisor for toner error handling: a case study in supervisory control of Océ printers. SE Report 2008-011, Eindhoven University of Technology, Systems Engineering Group (2008), http://se.wtb.tue.nl/sereports
- 10.Rutten, J.J.M.M.: Coalgebra, concurrency, and control. SEN Report R-9921, Center for Mathematics and Computer Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Theunissen, R., Schiffelers, R., van Beek, D., Rooda, J.: Supervisory control synthesis for a patient support system. In: Proceedings of 10th European Control Conference, pp. 1–6. EUCA (2009)Google Scholar