INSTREET - Application for Urban Photograph Localization
The paper proposes a solution to the problem of geolocation of a photograph based on comparison of its content to a geolocated database of street view images. The proposed algorithm allows the pinpointing of the location where a photograph was taken. In order to solve this problem we have proposed an algorithm based on MPEG-7 features. We have conducted large-scale tests (4% of area of the city of Krakow, Poland) that prove that the algorithm is characterized by high accuracy at the cost of high computing power required.
Keywordsgeolocation geotagging localisation of photographs criminal investigations MPEG-7
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Manjunath, B.S., Salembier, P., Sikora, T.: Introduction to MPEG-7. Wiley (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Hays, J., Efros, A.A.: IM2GPS: estimating geographic information from a single image. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Kalogerakis, E., Vesselova, O., Hays, J., Efros, A.A., Hertzmann, A.: Image Sequence Geolocation with Human Travel Priors. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Internaltional Conference on Computer Vision Recognition, ICCV (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, W., Kosecka, J.: Image Based Localization in Urban Environments. In: International Symposium on 3D Data Processing, Visualization and Transmission, 3DPVT 2006, North Carolina, Chapel Hill (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Lowe, D.G.: Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Vision 1999, vol. 2, pp. 1150–1157 (1999)Google Scholar