Service Availability Model to Support Reconfiguration
Web based information systems are exposed to various dependability issues during their lifetime. Reconfiguration is then used by the administration to ensure continuity of service. Such forced reconfigurations can cause unforeseen side-effects, such as server overloading. To prevent this, it is proposed to use simulation techniques to analyze the reconfigurations and construct a safe reconfiguration strategy. Extensions to the available network simulation tools are proposed to support this. The authors present the results of multiple experiments with web-based systems, which were conducted to develop a model of client-server interactions that would adequately describe the relationship between the server response time and resource utilization. This model was implemented in the simulation tools and its accuracy verified against a testbed system configuration.
KeywordsService Component Dependability Issue Request Rate Server Response System Reconfiguration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Caban, D.: Enhanced service reconfiguration to improve SOA systems depedability. In: Problems of Dependability and Modelling, pp. 27–39. Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wroclaw (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Caban, D., Walkowiak, T.: Dependability oriented reconfiguration of SOA systems. In: Grzech, A. (ed.) Information Systems Architecture and Technology: Networks and Networks’ Services, pp. 15–25. Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wroclaw (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Lutteroth, C., Weber, G.: Modeling a Realistic Workload for Performance Testing. In: 12th International IEEE Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Nielsen, J.: Usability Engineering. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Rahmawan, H., Gondokaryono, Y.S.: The simulation of static load balancing algorithms. In: International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, pp. 640–645 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.SPEC, SPECweb2009 Release 1.20 Benchmark Design Document vers. 1.20 (2010), http://www.spec.org/web2009/docs/design/SPECweb2009_Design.html (accessed February 10, 2012)
- 8.Walkowiak, T.: Information systems performance analysis using task-level simulator. In: DepCoS – RELCOMEX, pp. 218–225. IEEE Computer Society Press (2009)Google Scholar