Study on Frequency Synchronization in 3GPP LTE System for FDD and TDD Modes
In this paper, we propose a novel frequency synchronization method in 3GPP long term evolution (LTE) system downlink for both frequency division duplex (FDD) and time division duplex (TDD) modes. The proposed method includes coarse frequency offset estimation (FOE) using primary synchronization signal (PSS) based correlation in time domain, and fine FOE using phase difference between PSS and secondary synchronization signal (SSS) in frequency domain. Traditionally, cyclic prefix (CP) based method is widely used for fine FOE which is however sensitive to the time synchronization error and multi-path fading channel environment. The proposed fine FOE shows an apparent advantage in both FDD and TDD modes compared with CP based method. In addition, both theoretical analysis and simulation results show that the proposed fine FOE in TDD mode outperforms that in FDD mode under the same system assumptions. The simulations are done under a dual-cell scenario where there is co-frequency interference from the adjacent cell.
Keywords3GPP LTE cell search dual-cell frequency synchronization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Holma, H., Toskala, A.: LTE for UMTS- OFDMA and SC-FDMA Based Radio Acess, pp. 2–22. John Wiley & Sons (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Manolakis, K., Gutierrez Estevez, D.M., Jungnickel, V., Wen, X., Drewes, C.: A Closed Concept for Synchronization and Cell Search in 3GPP LTE Systems. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsai, P.-Y., Chang, H.-W.: A new cell search scheme in 3GPP long term evolution downlink, OFDMA systems. IEEE Wireless Communications & Signal Processing (April 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Shim, M.J., Han, J.S., Roh, H.J., Choi, H.J.: A frequency synchronization method for 3GPP LTE OFDMA system in TDD mode. IEEE Communications and Information Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.3GPP TS 36.211 V9.1.0, Physical channels and modulation (March 2010) Google Scholar
- 6.3GPP TS 36.101 V9.1.0, User Equipment (UE) radio transmission and reception (September 2009) Google Scholar
- 7.Sandell, M., van de Beek, J.J., Börjesson, P.O.: Timing and Frequency Synchronization in OFDM Systems Using the Cyclic Prefix. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Synchronization, Essen, Germany (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 8.ITU Publications, Guidelines for evaluation of radio interface technologies for IMT-Advanced, ITU-R Reports M.2135 (2008) Google Scholar
- 9.Hata, M.: Empirical formula for propagation loss in land mobile radio services. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 29(3) (1980)Google Scholar
- 10.3GPP TS 36.141 V8.8.0, Base Station (BS) conformance testing (September 2010)Google Scholar