Plasma Relaxation in Hall Magnetohydrodynamics
Parker’s formulation of isotopological plasma relaxation process in magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) is extended to Hall MHD. The torsion coefficient α in the Hall MHD Beltrami condition turns out now to be proportional to the potential vorticity. The Hall MHD Beltrami condition becomes equivalent to the potential vorticity conservation equation in two-dimensional (2D) hydrodynamics if the Hall MHD Lagrange multiplier β is taken to be proportional to the potential vorticity as well. The winding pattern of the magnetic field lines in Hall MHD then appears to evolve in the same way as potential vorticity lines in 2D hydrodynamics.
KeywordsPotential Vorticity Magnetic Field Line Whistler Wave Magnetic Reconnection Process Fast Magnetic Reconnection
This work was a result of my participation at the International Astrophysics Forum, Alpbach, 2011. I am thankful to Professor Eugene Parker for helpful suggestions and giving me access to Ref.  prior to publication and Professors Manfred Leubner and Zoltán Vörös for their hospitality.
- 1.S. Lundquist: Arkiv. Fysik 2, 361, (1950).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Lust and A. Schluter: Z. Astrophys. 34, 263, (1954).Google Scholar
- 3.E. R. Priest and T. Forbes: Magnetic Reconnection, Cambridge Univ. Press, (2000).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Schindler: Physics of Space Plasma Activity, Cambridge Univ. Press, (2007).Google Scholar
- 5.E. N. Parker: Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid Dyn. 34, 243, (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.E. N. Parker: Conversations on Electric and Magnetic Fields in the Cosmos, Princeton Univ. Press, Ch. 10, (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.E. N. Parker: Field line topology and rapid reconnection, in International Astrophysics Forum, Alpbach, (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.B. U. O. Sonnerup: in Solar System Plasma Physics, Ed. L. J. Lanzerotti, C. F. Kennel and E. N. Parker, North Holland, p. 45, (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.M. E. Mandt, R. E. Denton and J. F. Drake: Geophys. Res. Lett. 21, 73, (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.M. J. Lighthill: Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (London) A 252, 397, (1960).Google Scholar
- 11.L. Turner: IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. PS-14, B49, (1986).Google Scholar
- 12.B. K. Shivamoggi: Euro. Phys. J. D 64, 404, (2011).Google Scholar