Mapping Emerging News Networks: A Case Study of the San Francisco Bay Area
The news and information system in the United States is undergoing a significant transformation. From a limited number of professional, major metropolitan newspapers, television and radio stations to a networked system of hundreds of small and medium size information sources. Structural changes in news production and distribution are significantly altering the supply and flow of news to citizens. Using network analysis, we seek to map changes in the news ecology of the San Francisco Bay area. In this study, we graph the relationships between 143 locally based news sites to examine connections between news organizations, between journalists and their sources and between users of the news sites.
KeywordsSocial Networking Site News Story External Link News Site External Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blondel, V.D., Guillaume, J.-L., Lambiotte, R., Lefebvre, E.: Fast unfolding of community hierarchies in large networks. Journal of Stat. Mech (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Gordon, R., Contractor, N., Johnson, Z.P.: Linking Audiences to News and Information: A Network Analysis of Chicago Websites (September 23, 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Jarvis, J.: New rule: Cover what you do best. Link to the rest in Buzzmachine (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Kirchhoff, S.M.: The U.S. Newspaper Industry in Transition. Congressional Research Service 7-5700 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Koster, M.: A standard for robot exclusion (June 30,1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Purcell, K., Rainie, L., Mitchell, A., Rosenstiel, T., Olmstead, K.: Understanding the participatory news consumer. Pew Internet and American Life Project (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Rosse, J., Dertouzos, J.: Proceedings of the Symposium on Media Concentration, vol. 1. Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission (December 14, 1978)Google Scholar
- 9.State of the News Media, An Annual Report on American Journalism. Pew Project for Excellence in Journalism (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Tremayne, M.: Applying Network Theory to the Use of External Links on News Web Sites. Internet Newspapers: Making of a Mainstream Medium. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (2006)Google Scholar