Expression of Sensitized Eu3+ Luminescence at a Multivalent Interface
The assembly of a mixture of guest-functionalized antenna and Eu3+-complexed ligand molecules in a patterned fashion onto a receptor surface was shown to provide local and efficient sensitized Eu3+ emission. Coordination of a carboxylate group of the antenna to the Eu3+ center and noncovalent anchoring of both components to the receptor surface appeared to be prerequisites for efficient energy transfer. A Job plot at the surface confirmed that coordination of the antenna to the Eu3+ center occured in a 1:1 fashion. The efficiency of this intramolecular binding process is promoted by the high effective concentration of both complementary moieties at the surface. The system constitutes, therefore an example of supramolecular expression of a complex consisting of several different building blocks which signals its own correct formation.
KeywordsLanthanide Complex Triethylene Glycol Benzyl Ether Microcontact Printing Tetraethylene Glycol
The major part of the work presented in this chapter was performed in collaboration with Shu-Han Hsu. Christian Blum is acknowledged for performing the local fluorescence emission spectra and lifetime measurements.
- 1.S.-H. Hsu, M.D. Yilmaz, C. Blum, V. Subramaniam, D.N. Reinhoudt, A.H. Velders, J. Huskens, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 12567–12569 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.A. Langner, S.L. Tait, N. Lin, C. Rajadurai, M. Ruben, K. Kern, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 104, 17927–17930 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.M. Eigen, The Hypercycle: A Principle of Natural Self Organization (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1979)Google Scholar
- 21.E. Delgado-Pinar, J.C. Frias, L.J. Jimenez-Borreguero, M.T. Albelda, J. Alarcon, E. Garcia-Espana, Chem. Commun. 28(32), 3392–3394 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.D.J. Lewis, T.M. Day, J.V. MacPherson, Z. Pikramenou, Chem. Commun. 13, 1433–1435 (2006)Google Scholar
- 26.J.P. Leonard, C.M.G. dos Santos, S.E. Plush, T. McCabe, T. Gunnlaugsson, Chem. Commun. 2(2), 129–131 (2007)Google Scholar
- 27.P. Luisi, Fundam. Chem. 4, 1572–8463 (2002)Google Scholar