Bounding Box Modeling in Virtual Orthodontics Treatment System
The objective of this paper was establishing the bounding box applied on 3D dental models which reflected the characteristics of single-tooth shapes accurately. First, according to the Gaussian curvature of each tooth’s surface and the definition of feature points on single-tooth in oral medicine, the feature points are extracted. Second, based on the feature points, established a local coordinate system which reflect the direction of the inertia axis, mesi-distal and buccolingual. Finally, according to the maximum value of the local coordinate system, constructed a bounding box for each tooth adopted the Axis-Aligned Bounding Box (AABB) method. Based on the model and method, a software is developed by using Visual C++ and OpenGL for the bounding box establishment of single tooth. Experiments show, that method meet the requirements of oral medicine, more reliable and effective compared with traditional methods.
KeywordsBounding Box Gaussian Curvature feature point Orthodontics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Xing, S.-Y., Zhang, S.-H., Liu, X.-B.: The Present Situation of Virtual Surgery System Technology. Computer Engineering and Applications 7, 88–90 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Ji, F.: Research and Development of Virtual Orthodontic System (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, Y., Lu, P.: Establishment of artificial tooth coordinate for full denture. J. Pract. Stomatol. 21(5), 9 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Fang, H., Wang, G.: Comparison and Analysis of Discrete Curvatures Estimation Methods for Triangular Meshes. Journal of Computer Aided Design & Computer Graphics 11(17) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, L.-W., Liu, B.-Y., Han, J.-W.: Survey of Box-Based Algorithms for Collision Detection. Journal of Civil Aviation University of China 25(4) (August 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Jeongc, D.: Testing neural network crash avoiding system in mobile robot, pp. 21–30. Case Western Reserve University (2001)Google Scholar