Towards Linear Time Overlapping Community Detection in Social Networks
Membership diversity is a characteristic aspect of social networks in which a person may belong to more than one social group. For this reason, discovering overlapping structures is necessary for realistic social analysis. In this paper, we present a fast algorithm, called SLPA, for overlapping community detection in large-scale networks. SLPA spreads labels according to dynamic interaction rules. It can be applied to both unipartite and bipartite networks. It is also able to uncover overlapping nested hierarchy. The time complexity of SLPA scales linearly with the number of edges in the network. Experiments in both synthetic and real-world networks show that SLPA has an excellent performance in identifying both node and community level overlapping structures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Collins, L.M., Dent, C.W.: Omega: A general formulation of the rand index of cluster recovery suitable for non-disjoint solutions. MBR 23, 231–242 (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Kelley, S.: The existence and discovery of overlapping communities in large-scale networks. Ph.D. thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S., Kertesz, J.: Detecting the overlapping and hierarchical community structure in complex networks. New J. Phys., 033015 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S., Radicchi, F.: Benchmark graphs for testing community detection algorithms. Phys. Rev. E 78, 046110 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, C., Reid, F., McDaid, A., Hurley, N.: Detecting highly overlapping community structure by greedy clique expansion. In: snakdd. pp. 33–42 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Nicosia, V., Mangioni, G., Carchiolo, V., Malgeri, M.: Extending the definition of modularity to directed graphs with overlapping communities. J. Stat. Mech., 03024 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Palla, G., Derényi, I., Farkas, I., Vicsek, T.: Uncovering the overlapping community structure of complex networks in nature and society. Nature, 814–818 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Psorakis, I., Roberts, S., Ebden, M., Sheldon, B.: Overlapping community detection using bayesian non-negative matrix factorization. Phys. Rev. E 83, 066114 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Raghavan, U.N., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near linear time algorithm to detect community structures in large-scale networks. Phys. Rev. E 76, 036106 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Xie, J., Szymanski, B.K.: Community detection using a neighborhood strength driven label propagation algorithm. In: IEEE NSW 2011, pp. 188–195 (2011)Google Scholar