An Effective Software Implemented Data Error Detection Method in Real Time Systems
In this paper, a software-based technique is presented for detecting soft errors that damage data and values of the programs. The proposed technique that is called CPD (Critical Path Duplication) is based on critical path duplication of program. The mentioned path is extracted from the data flow graph of the program and has the most length so there is a great probability of error occurrence in it. In CPD technique, the instructions of the critical path is repeated and separated variables and registers are determined for them. In order to analyze the proposed technique, fault injection to variables and registers are utilized and the achieved results are compared with a full duplication method. Experimental results show that CPD technique has 54% and 25% of the performance and memory overheard less than full duplication method. The percentage of fault coverage is reduced about 24% which is acceptable in safety- critical applications which are sensitive to speed and space overheads.
Keywordscritical path duplication error detection fault injection software redundancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhu, D., Aydin, H.: Reliability Effects of Process and Thread Redundancy on Chip Multiprocessors. In: Proc. of the 36th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Vemu, R., Abraham, J.: CEDA: Control-Flow Error Detection through Assertion. In: Proc. of the 12th IEEE international Online Testing Symposium (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Goloubeva, O., Rebaudengo, M., Reorda, M.S., Violante, M.: Softerror detection using control flow assertions. In: 18th IEEE International Symposium on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Nicolescu, B., Velazco, R.: Detecting soft errors by a purely software approach: method, tools and experimental results. In: Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition (DATE 2003). IEEE Computer Society, Munich (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.De Micheli, G.: Snthesis and optimization of digital circuits, 1st edn. McGraw-Hill Science, Engineering, Math. publication (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Asghari, S.A., Pedram, H., Taheri, H., Khademi, M.: A New Background Debug Mode Based Technique for Fault Injection in Embedded Systems. International Review on Modeling and Simulation (IREMOS) 3(3), 415–422 (2010)Google Scholar