A Survey on MRI Brain Segmentation
With the growing research on medical image segmentation, it is essential to categorize the research outcomes and provide readers with an overview of the existing segmentation techniques in medical images. In this paper, different image segmentation techniques applied on magnetic resonance brain images are reviewed. The selection of papers includes sources from image processing journals, conferences, books, dissertations and thesis. The conceptual details of the algorithms are explained and mathematical details are avoided for simplicity. Both broad and detailed categorizations of reviewed segmentation techniques are provided. The state of art research is provided with emphasis on developed algorithms and image properties used by them. The methods defined are not always mutually independent. Hence, their inter relationships are also stated. Finally, conclusions are drawn summarizing commonly used techniques and their complexities in application.
KeywordsMRI Segmentation Medical Imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jain, A.K., et al.: Data Clustering: A Review. ACM Computing Surveys 31(3) (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Chaudhuri, B.B., Sarkar, N.: Texture Segmentation Using Fractal Dimension. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 17(1) (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Chanda, B., Dutta Majumder, D.: Digital Image Processing and Analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Prasantha, H.S., et al.: Medical Image Segmentation. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering 02(04) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image processing, 2nd edn., pp. 589–656. Pearson Education (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, R., Wunsch II, D.: Survey of clustering algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 16(3) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Hojjatoleslami, S.A., Kittler, J.: Region Growing: A New Approach. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 7(7) (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Jayaraman, S., et al.: Digital Image Processing. Tata McGraw Hill Education Pvt. Ltd (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Moertini, V.S.: Introduction to five data clustering algorithms. Integral 7(2) (2002)Google Scholar