A Gaussian Graphical Model Based Approach for Image Inpainting
Digital image inpainting means reconstruction of small damaged portions of images. In this paper, we propose an algorithm for digital image inpainting which is a combination of pixel-diffusing technique and a user interaction mechanism. In our approach, the user manually specifies important missing structure information by extending a few curves or line segments from the known region to the unknown regions. Our approach synthesizes image patches along these user-specified curves in the unknown region using patches selected around the curves in the known region. We call this step as structure propagation. After completing structure propagation, we fill in the remaining unknown regions using Gaussian Graphical Model which is MRF based. The experiment results show that our approach is reasonable and efficient. In addition, our method is very simple to be implemented and fast.
KeywordsGGM MRF Structure propagation Image inpainting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Marcelo, B., Guillermo, S., Vicent, C., Coloma, B.: Image Inpainting. In: Proceeding of the ACM SIGGRAPH 2000, New Orleans, pp. 417–424 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Takahiro, O., Miki, H., Hideo, K.: Restoration Method of Missing Areas in Still Images Using GMRF Model. In: International Symposium on IEEE, pp. 931–4934 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Rui, W., Dongbing, G., Guangwen, L., Junxi, S.: A multi-scale image inpainting algorithm based on GMRF model. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), December 19-23, pp. 1844–1848 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Yasuda, M., Ohkubo, J., Tanaka, K.: Digital Image Inpainting based on Markov Random Field. In: International Conference on Intelligent Agents, Web Technologies and Internet Commerce and International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation, November 28-30, vol. 2, pp. 747–752 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Junxi, S., Defang, H., Dongbing, G., Guangwen, L., Hua, C.: An interactive image inpainting algorithm based on Markov Random Field. In: International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, ICMA 2009, August 9-12, pp. 101–106 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Jae, S.L.: Two-Dimensional Signal and Image Processing. Prentice Hall PTR (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Kazuyuki, T.: Statistical-mechanical approach to image processing. J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 35, 81–150 (2002)Google Scholar