Image Analysis of DETECHIP® – A Molecular Sensing Array
Several image analysis techniques were applied to a colorimetric chemical sensor array called DETECHIP®. Analytes such as illegal and over the counter drugs can be detected and identified by digital image analysis. Jpeg images of DETECHIP® arrays with and without analytes were obtained using a camera and a simple flatbed scanner. Color information was obtained by measuring red-green-blue (RGB) values with image software like GIMP, Photoshop, and ImageJ. Several image analysis methods were evaluated for analysis of both photographs and scanned images of DETECHIP®. We determined that when compared to photographs, scanned images of DETECHIP® gave better results through the elimination of parallax and shading that lead to inconsistent results. Furthermore, results using an ImageJ macro technique showed improved consistency versus the previous method when human eyesight was used as a detection method.
KeywordsDETECHIP Molecular Sensing Array Color Signal Detection of Narcotics Cutting Agents Image Analysis RGB GIMP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Holmes, A.E.: Detechip: Molecular color and fluorescent sensory arrays for small molecules. United States Patent US2010/0197516 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Unidc, P. (ed.): Rapid testing methods of drugs of abuse. United Nations, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Justice, U.S.D.O. (ed.): Color test reagents/kits for preliminary identification of drugs of abuse, Washington, D.C (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Negrusz, A., Moore, C., Deitermann, D., Lewis, D., Kaleciak, K., Kron-strand, R., Feeley, B., Niedbala, R.S.: Highly sensitive micro-plate enzyme immunoassay screening and nci-gc-ms confirmation of flunitrazepam and its major metabolite 7-aminoflunitrazepam in hair. Journal of Analytical Toxicology 23(6), 429–435 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sure Screen Diagnostics, Ltd., U.K (2011)Google Scholar
- 23.Imagej home page (June 2010), http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/
- 24.Gimp home page (June 2010), http://www.gimp.org/
- 25.Peng, T.: Detect circles with various radii in grayscale image via hough transform. MATLAB Central (2005)Google Scholar