Poor Quality Watermark Barcodes Image Enhancement
The one dimensional (1D) barcode was developed as a package label that could be swiftly and accurately read by a laser scanner. It has become ubiquitous, with symbologies such as UPC used to label approximately 99% of all packaged goods in the US . The two-dimensional (2D) barcode has improved the information encoded capacity, and it also has enriched the applications of barcode technique. Recently, there are researches dealing with watermark technique on barcode to prevent it from counterfeited or prepensely tampered. The existent methods still have to limit the size of embedded watermark in a relatively small portion. Furthermore, it also needs to utilize original watermark or other auxiliary verification mechanism to achieve the barcode verification. In this paper, we propose a novel watermarking barcode reading enhancement method. The proposed method can fight most of reading challenges of watermarking barcode. Experiments with challenging barcode images show substantial improvement over other state-of-the-art algorithms.
KeywordsBarcode digital watermark barcode verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tekin, E., Coughlan, J.: A Bayesian Algorithm for Reading 1D Barcodes. In: Sixth Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), Kelowna, British Columbia (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Hernandez Martin, J.R., Kutter, M.: Information retrieval in digital watermarking. IEEE Communications Magazine 39(8) (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Shen, J.-J., Hsu, P.-W.: A Fragile Associative Watermarking on 2D Barcode for Data Authentication. International Journal of Network Security 7(3) (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Afzel, N., Nikhil, T., Max, M.H.: Embedding biometric identifiers in 2D barcodes for improved security. ScienceDirect, Computers & Security 23(8) (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Ross, D.: Back on the cards. IEE Review 49 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Gallo, O., Manduchi, R.: Date of Current Version 2010, Reading challenging barcodes with cameras. In: Applications of Computer Vision (WACV) (2010) Google Scholar
- 7.DataSymbol Barcode Recognition SDK, http://www.datasymbol.com/ (last retrieved December 07, 2011)
- 8.DTK Software, http://www.dtksoft.com/ (last retrieved December 07, 2011)