Mobile Data Offloading: Benefits, Issues, and Technological Solutions
Apart from voice services, data made its foray in cellular networks with 2.5G networks. Today, with 3G network already in place, the data requirements of mobile subscribers is very high. With the increasing demand for mobile internet and rich data services such as streaming media for audio and video, this data requirement is expected to multifold in near future. Correspondingly the existing network infrastructures will have to scale to satisfy this huge bandwidth demand in future. The simple solution for this is to build up new infrastructure. But huge investments are involved with it. So, network operators have started looking for the alternative ways of satisfying this data needs. Among many alternatives, mobile data offloading is a most promising one. This paper presents the extensive need, benefits, and technological solutions for Mobile data offloading.
KeywordsWi-Fi Mobile Data Offloading 3G
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The world in 2010 – The rise of 3G, technical report of ICT (2010), http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/material/FactsFigures2010.pdf (accessed December 1, 2011)
- 2.Mobile data offload for 3G networks, Intellinet Technologies report (October 2009), http://www.intellinet-tech.com/Media/PagePDF/Data%20Offload.pdf (accessed October 20, 2011)
- 4.Juniper Research (August 2, 2011), http://juniperresearch.com/viewpressrelease.php?pr=254 (accessed November 15, 2011)
- 5.Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2010-2015, white paper, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white_paper_c11-520862.pdf (accessed December 20, 2011)
- 6.Mobile Marketing: Insight & trends, Report, Quadlogix Technologies, http://www.slideshare.net/QuadLogix/quadlogix-technologies-mobile-marketing-an-overview (accessed December 10, 2011)
- 7.Juniper Research (March 31, 2011), http://juniperresearch.com/viewpressrelease.php?pr=237 (accessed January 10, 2011)
- 8.Global Mobile Statistics 2012(January 2012), http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats (accessed January 5, 2012)
- 9.Approaching shortages of mobile broadband spectrum threaten to limit broadband deployment and economic growth, Discussion Paper - ICC communication (October 2011), http://www.iccwbo.org
- 11.Cellular standards for the third generation, ITU (December 1, 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.IEEE standard 802.11n, Part 11: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications – amendment 5: Enhancements for higher throughput (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Hotspot usage to reach 120 billion connects by 2015, Scottasdale (August 2011) (accessed November 13, 2011)Google Scholar