A Study on Transmission-Control Middleware on an Android Terminal in a WLAN Environment
In this study, we present a transmission-control middleware, which enables an Android terminal to select a suitable TCP in a WLAN Environment. Various approaches toward developing a congestion control algorithm of TCP have been proposed to prevent congestion. Some of these approaches are loss based whereas others are delay based to predict network traffic, and their hybrid type also exists such as Compound-TCP and TCPIllinois. However, all of these approaches are designed to allow each terminal to run independently. Moreover, in the case of a mobile terminal, its TCP is limited to behave modestly to avoid filling the bandwidth. In this paper, we suggest a middleware that exchanges communication conditions to predict traffic on the basis of the number of communication terminals connected to the same access point. In the future, we will improve the middleware to predict the values of the Congestion Window of the other terminals.
KeywordsMiddleware TCP Congestion control Android
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.android developers, http://developer.android.com
- 3.Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM GNU/Linux, http://www.codesourcery.com/
- 4.Dukkipati, N., Rece, T., Cheng, Y., Chu, J., Herbert, T., Agarwal, A., Jain, A., Sutin, N.: An Argument for Increasing TCP’ s Initial Congestion Window. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communications Review, vol. 40(3), pp. 27–33 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Mascolo, S., Casetti, C., Gerla, M., Sanadidi, M.Y., Wang, R.: TCP Westwood: Bandwidth Estimation for Enhanced Transport over Wireless Links. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOBILE 7, 2001, Rome, Italy (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Capone, A., Fratta, L., Martignon, F.: Bandwidth Estimation Schemes for TCP over Wireless Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 3(2) (April-June 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Katto, J., Ogura, K., Fujikawa, T., Kaneko, K., Su, Z.: On Hybrid TCP Congestion Control. In: Proc. ICCCS, TCP(2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, S., Car, T.B., Srikant, R.: TCP Illinois: A Loss and Delay Based Congestion Control Algorithm for High Speed Networks. In: Proc. VALUETOOLS, Pisa, Italy (October 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Leith, D.J., Andrew, L.L.H., Quetchenbach, T., Shorten, R.N., Lavi, K.: Experimental Evaluation of Delay/Loss-based TCP Congestion Control Algorithms. In: Proc. the 6th International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks (PFLDnet 2008), Manchester, UK, March 5-7 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Miki, K., Yamaguchi, S., Oguchi, M.: Kernel Monitor of Transport Layer Developed for Android Working on Mobile Phone Terminals. In: Proc. the Tenth International Conference on Networks (ICN 2011), St. Seattle, USA (April 2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Miki, K., Yamaguchi, S., Oguchi, M.: A Study about Performance Improvement and Analysis of Communication on Android in a Wireless LAN with Kernel Monitor. In: Multimedia, Distributed, Cooperative, and Mobile Symposium, DICOMO 2011, 7H-2 (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Hirai, H., Miki, K., Yamaguchi, S., Oguchi, M.: A Visualization Tool for Communication Performance of Android Terminal. In: The 73rd National Convention of IPSJ, 5V-9 (March 2011)Google Scholar