Emergency Based Remote Collateral Tracking System Using Google’s Android Mobile Platform
Introduction of Smart phones redefined the usage of mobile phones in the communication world. Smart phones are equipped with various sophisticated features such as Wi-Fi, GPS navigation, high resolution camera, touch screen with broadband access which helps the mobile phone users to keep in touch with the modern world. Many of these features are primarily integrated with the mobile operating system which is out of reach to public, by which the users can’t manipulate those features. Google came up with an innovative operation system termed as ANDROID, which is open system architecture with customizable third party development and debugging environment which helps the user’s to manipulate the features and to create their own customizable applications.
In this paper, ‘Emergency Based Remote Collateral Tracking System’ application using Google’s Android Mobile Platform is addressed. Emergency is divided into three categories: heart beat based emergency, security threats like personal safety and road accidents. This application is targeted to a person who is driving a vehicle. Heart rate monitoring device is integrated with our application to sense the heart beat of a person driving the vehicle and if there is any abnormalities in the heart beat, then our application performs a dual role. One in which, application uses a GPS to track the location information of the user and send those location information as a message via SMS, email and post it on Facebook wall Simultaneously, an emergency signal is sent to Arduino Microcontroller.
Road accidents are quite common, this application is also designed to detect the accident using the sensors in the Android Mobile. Security threat can occur anywhere, our application also answers for personal safety, when the user interacts with the application by pressing the button, then automatically the application generates the geographical information and sends that location information via SMS and email to a pre-stored emergency contact and the same information will be posted on user’s Facebook wall. This application is written in JAVA programming language which runs on Eclipse Integrated Development Kit.
KeywordsAndroid Arduino microcontroller Emergency GPS Heart rate device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gozalvez, J.: First Google’s android phone launched. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine 3 (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 2.http://www.xcubelabs.com/evolution-of-mobile-operating-systems.php (accessed on June 10, 2011)
- 4.Open Handset Alliance, Open Handset Announces 14 New Members, http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_overview.html (accessed on June 10, 2011)
- 5.Shu, X., Du, Z., Chen, R.: Research on Mobile Location Service Design Based on Android. In: 5th Int. Conf. On Wireless Communication Networking and Mobile Computing, Beijing, pp. 1–4 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Whipple, J., Arensman, W., Boler, M.S.: A Public Safety Application of GPS-Enabled smart phones and the Android Operating System. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on System, Man and Cybernetics, San Antonio, pp. 2059–2061 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, C.T., Chu, Y.Y., Tsaur, S.C.: Implementation of a medical information service on Android mobile device. In: 4th Int. Conf. on News Trends in Information Science and Service Science, Gyeongju, pp. 72–77 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Hou, Q.: Research and implementation of remote heart rate monitoring system based on GSM and MCU. In: 2nd Int. Conf. On Information Science and Engineering, Hangzhou, p. 2293 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.http://www.arduino.cc (accessed on June 10, 2011)
- 11.Wen, Y., Yang, R., Chen, Y.: Heart rate monitoring in dynamic movements from a wearable system. In: 5th Intl. Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors, June 1-3, pp. 272–275 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Mahmood, N.H., Uyop, N., Zulkarnain, N., Harun, F.K.C., Kamarudin, M.F., Linoby, A.: LED indicator for heart rate monitoring system in sport application. In: IEEE 7th Int. Colloquium on Signal Processing and its Applications, pp. 64–66, 4–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.http://www.heartratemonitor-app.co.uk/index.html (accessed on June 10, 2011)
- 14.http://www.amarino-toolkit.net (accessed on June 10, 2011)