Energy Efficient and Minimal Path Selection of Nodes to Cluster Head in Homogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless sensor networks (WSN) provide the availability of small and low-cost sensor nodes with capability of sensing physical and environmental conditions, data processing, and communication. These sensor nodes have limited transmission range, processing and storage capabilities as well as their energy resources. Routing protocols for wireless sensor networks are responsible for maintaining the energy efficient routes in the network and have to ensure extended network lifetime. In this paper, we propose and analyze a new approach of routing by clustering. The new cluster head selection approach by a homogeneous sensor node (having same initial energy) in wireless sensor network has been proposed, which involves choosing the cluster head which lies closest to the midpoint of the base station and the sensor node. Our proposed routing algorithm is related with energy and distance factors of each nodes. This scheme is then compared with the traditional LEACH protocol which involves selecting the cluster head which is nearest to the particular node. We conclude that the proposed protocol effectively extends the network lifetime with less consumption of energy in the network.
KeywordsWireless Sensor network Cluster head Routing protocol Network lifetime Alive nodes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Al-Karaki, J., Kamal, A.: Routing Techniques in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey. IEEE Communications Magazine 11(6), 6–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Joshi, A., Lakshmi Priya, M.: A Survey of Hierarchical Routing Protocols in Wirless Sensor Network. In: International Conference on Information SystemsGoogle Scholar
- 4.Heinzelman, W.R., et al.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proceeding of the 33rd Hawaii International Confrence on System Sciences, pp. 1–10 (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Taruna, S., Lata, J.K., Purohit G.N.: Zone Based Routing Protocol for Homogeneous Wireless Sensor Network. International Journal of Ad hoc, Sensor & Ubiquitous Computing (IJASUC) 2(3) (September 2011), doi: 10.5121/ijasuc.2011.2307 99Google Scholar
- 6.Chandramathi, S., Anand, U., Ganesh, T., Sriraman, S., Velmurugan, D.: Energy Aware Optimal Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks. Journal of Computer Science 3(11), 836–840 (2007) ISSN 1549-3636© 2007 Science Publications Google Scholar