Designing a Rule Based Expert System for Selecting Pavement Rehabilitation Treatments Using Rough Set Theory
Rule based expert systems provide a suitable method for capturing expert knowledge and formulating the acquired knowledge as rules. In the field of pavement rehabilitation, the decision making process includes choosing the best rehabilitation or maintenance options according to the values of different pavement conditions and indexes. The decision about the same road pavement may vary significantly from one expert to another because of their different experiences and attitudes. Thus, using an expert system which is composed of rules extracted from experts consensus could be viewed as a beneficial pavement management decision support tool. Rough Set theory is proven to be appropriate for processing qualitative information that is difficult to analyze by standard statistical techniques. The current research uses rough set theory in order to derive decision rules from diverse opinions of experts in selecting pavement rehabilitation treatments.
KeywordsRehabilitation Expert System Rough Set Theory Rule Induction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allez, F., Dauzats, M., Joubert, P., Labat, G.P., Pusselli, M.: ERASME: An Expert System for Pavement Maintenance. Transportation Research Record 1205, 1–5 (1988)Google Scholar
- 2.Al-Shawi, M.A., Cabrera, J.G., Watson, A.S.: Pavement Expert: An Expert to Assist in the Evaluation of Concrete Pavements. In: Proceeding of Transportation and Planning Meeting, Leeds, England, Leeds, England, p. 293 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Haas, R., Shen, H.: PRESERVER: A Knowledge-Based Pavement Maintenance Consulting Program, Advanced Development Department Computing Devices Company (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Hajek, J.J., Haas, R., Chong, G.J., Phang, W.A.: ROSE: A knowledge-based expert system for routing and sealing. In: Proceeding of the 2nd North American Pavement Management Conference, Toronto, Canada, pp. 2.301–2.341 (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Ismail, N., Ismail, A., Rahmat, R.A.: Development of Expert System for Airport Pavement Maintenance and Rehabilitation. European Journal of Scientific Research 35(1), 121–129 (2009) ISSN 1450-216XGoogle Scholar
- 13.Skok, G., Westover, T., et al.: Pavement Rehabilitation Selection, Minnesota Department of Transportation, USA (2008)Google Scholar