Context-Based Decision Support for Energy Efficiency and Emissions Trading in Industry: The LifeSaver Approach
This paper reports the work under development in the scope of LifeSaver project aiming at supporting manufacturing companies in optimising the energy performance of their operations. This support will be in the form of a set of ICT building blocks that combine context awareness, ambient intelligence monitoring and standard energy consumption data measurement. LifeSaver will provide: (i) information about the energy consumption to be processed in enterprise management systems, for the purpose of achieving significant energy savings; (ii) a decision support system for optimisation of energy performance of operations; and (iii) predicted cumulative data on the CO2 emissions, as input for the decision support services to enable emission trading across industries and among companies. Three demonstrators of the platform’s application in real industrial environment, and their usage for new business models, will be provided.
KeywordsEnergy Efficiency Decision Support System Emission Trading Emission Trading Scheme Emission Trading System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.LifeSaver, Consortium. LifeSaver Project, http://www.lifesaver-fp7.eu
- 2.United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Fact Sheet: The need for strong global action on climate change. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (February 2011), http://unfccc.int/2860.php (accessed 2011)
- 3.European Commission. Legislation on Emissions Trading System, http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/ets/documentation_en.htm#Main_legislation
- 4.Georgilakis, P.S.: State-of-the-Art of decision support systems for the choice of renewable energy sources for energy supply in isolated regions. International Journal of Distributed Energy Resources 2(2), 129–150 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Zolghadri, M., Lecompte, T., Bourrieres, J.P.: Design of decision support systems for extended enterprise. Journal of Studies in Informatics and Control with Emphasis on Useful Applications of Advanced Technology 11(1)Google Scholar
- 9.Tansley, D.S.W., Hayball, C.C.: KBS Analyst and Design, a KADS Developer’s Handbook. Prentice-Hall (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.Sensiper, S.: American Management Systems: The Knowledge Centers. Case 9-697-068. Harvard Business School (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Mazharsolook, E., Scholze, S., Neves-Silva, R., Ning, K.: Enhancing networked enterprise management of knowledge and social interactions. Journal of Computing in Systems and Engineering, 176–184 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Campos, A.R.: Intelligent Decision Support Systems for Collaboration in Industrial Plants. PhD Thesis (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.European Commission. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions - Addressing the challenge of energy efficiency through information and communication technologies (2008)Google Scholar