Medical Decision Support System for Assessment of Dermatoglyphic Indices and Diagnosis of Down’s Syndrome
The paper describes design of an intelligent information system for assessment of dermatoglyphic indices of Down’s syndrome in infants. The system supports medical diagnosis by automatic processing of dermatoglyphic prints and detecting features indicating presence of genetic disorders. Application of image processing and pattern recognition algorithms in pattern classification of fingerprints and prints of the hallucal area of the sole is described. Application of an algorithm based on multi-scale pyramid decomposition of an image is proposed for ridge orientation calculation. A method of singular points detection and calculation of the ATD angle of the palm print is presented. Currently achieved results in dermatoglyphic prints enhancement, classification and analysis are discussed.
KeywordsTurner Syndrome Palmprint Image Radial Loop Telemedical System Left Loop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cummins, H., Midlo, C.: Finger Prints Palms and Soles - Introduction to Dermatoglyphics. Dover Publications Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Feng, X.G., Milanfar, P.: Multiscale principal components analysis for image local orientation estimation. In: Proc. of the 36th Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 1, pp. 478–482 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Fleuret, F., Sahbi, H.: Scale-invariance of support vector machines based on the triangular kernel. In: Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, ICCV (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Preuss, M.: A screening test for patients suspected of having Turner syndrome. Clinical Genetics (10), 145–155 (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.Reed, T.: Dermatoglyphics in Down’s syndrome. Clinical Genetics (6), 236 (1974)Google Scholar
- 7.Reed, T.E., et al.: Dermatoglyphic nomogram for the diagnosis of Down’s syndrome. J. Pediat. (77), 1024–1032 (1970)Google Scholar
- 8.Tornjova-Randelova, S.G.: Dermatoglyphic characteristics of patients with Turners syndrome. Medicine Anthropologie 43(4), 96–100 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Yin, Y., Weng, D.: A New Robust Method of Singular Point Detection from Fingerprint. In: Proc. of Int. Symposium on Information Science and Engieering. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar