On a Patent Analysis Method for Identifying Core Technologies
This study proposes a new approach to identifying core technologies from the perspectives of co-occurrence, relatedness, and cross-impact based on patent co-classification information with consideration of the overall interrelationships among technologies. First, association rule mining is employed to derive the co-occurrence, relatedness, and cross-impact indexes and three technological matrixes are constructed. Second, the analytic network process is conducted to produce importance values of technologies for three perspectives with consideration of their direct and indirect impacts. Finally, data envelopment analysis is applied to identify priorities of technologies. The proposed approach can be utilized for technology monitoring for both technology planning of firms and innovation policy making of governments.
KeywordsAssociation rule mining (ARM) Analytic network process (ANP) Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) Core technology Patent co-classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal, R., Imielinski, T., Swami, A.: Mining association rules between sets of items in large databases. In: Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Int. Superence on Manag. of Data, pp. 207–216 (1993)Google Scholar
- Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Fast algorithms for mining association rules. In: Proc. of the 20th VLDB Superence, pp. 478–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- Hall, B., Jaffe, A., Trajtenberg, M.: The NBER patent citations data file: Lessons, insights and methodological tools. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 8498 (2001)Google Scholar
- Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques. Academic Press, San Diego (2001)Google Scholar
- OECD, Using patent data as science and technology indicators - patent manual. OECD, Paris (1994)Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.: Decision making with dependence and feedback: The analytic network process. RWS Publications, Pittsburgh (1996)Google Scholar
- USPTO, Overview of the US patent classification system (2006), http://www.uspto.gov