Immunization of Networks via Modularity Based Node Representation
We propose an approach for immunization of networks via modularity based node representation. Immunization of networks has often been conducted by removing nodes with large centrality so that the whole network can be fragmented into smaller subgraphs. Since contamination is propagated among subgraphs (communities) along links in a network, besides centrality, utilization of community structure seems effective for immunization. However, despite various efforts, it is still difficult to identify true community labels in a network. Toward effective immunization of networks, we propose to remove nodes between communities without identifying community labels of nodes. By exploiting the vector representation of nodes based on the modularity matrix of a network, we propose to utilize not only the norm of vectors, but also the relation among vectors. Two heuristic scoring functions are proposed based on the inner products of vector representation and their filtering in terms of vector angle. Preliminary experiments are conducted over synthetic networks and real-world networks, and compared with other centrality based immunization strategies.
KeywordsConical Angle Betweenness Centrality Community Centrality Vector Representation Immunization Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Masuda, N.: Immunization of networks with community structure. New Journal of Physics 11, 123018 (2011), doi:10.1088/1367-2630/11/12/123018Google Scholar
- 5.Mika, P.: Social Networks and the Semantic Web. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Newman, M.: Finding community structure using the eigenvectors of matrices. Physical Review E 76(3), 036104 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Newman, M.: Networks: An Introduction. Oxford University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Raghavan, U., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near linear time algorithm to detect community structures in large-scale networks. Physical Review E 76, 036106 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Restrepo, J.G., Ott, E., Hunt, B.R.: Characterizing the dynamical importance of network nodes and links. Physical Review Letters 97, 094102 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Yoshida, T.: Toward finding hidden communities based on user profile. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (2011) (accepted)Google Scholar