Granule Mining and Its Application for Network Traffic Characterization
Decision table and decision rules play an important role in rough set based data analysis, which compress databases into granules and describe the associations between granules. Granule mining was also proposed to interpret decision rules in terms of association rules and multi-tier structure. In this paper, we further extend granule mining to describe the relationships between granules not only by traditional support and confidence, but by diversity and condition diversity as well. Diversity measures how diverse of a granule associated with the other granules, it provides a kind of novel knowledge in databases. Some experiments are conducted to test the proposed new concepts for describing the characteristics of a real network traffic data collection. The results show that the proposed concepts are promising.
KeywordsDecision Rule Association Rule Association Mapping Decision Table Granular Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Imielinski, T., Swami, A.: Mining association rules between sets of items in large databases. In: Proceedings of SIGMOD 1993, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 207–216 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, Y.: Extended random sets for knowledge discovery in information system. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets, Data Mining and Granular Computing, Chongqing, China, pp. 524–532 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, Y., Yang, W., Xu, Y.: Multi-tier granule mining for representations of multidimensional association rules. In: Proceedings of 6th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, pp. 953–958 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Y., Zhong, N.: Interpretations of association rules by granular computing. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Melbourne, Florida, USA, pp. 593–596 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Skowron, A.: Approximate reasoning in mas: rough set approach extended abstract (keynote talk). In: Proceedings of IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Yao, Y.Y., Zhao, Y., Maguire, R.B.: Explanation oriented association mining using rough set theory. In: Proceedings of RSFD GrC 2003, pp. 165–172 (2003)Google Scholar