Temporal Perspective for the Software Testing Decision Support Framework
The development of the Decision Support Framework (DSF) for software testing provides a solid basis for assisting the software test manager in assessing the risk of achieving successful software testing. To further enhance the DSF, the DSF has been expanded beyond its static and dynamic analysis perspectives.
It has been observed that any activity or process has some type of inherent temporal perspective. Thus the adding of a temporal perspective to the DSF static and dynamic analysis perspectives is a step forward. The temporal information is derived and integrated utilizing the test manager’s experience and his/her software test plan. This provides an additional analysis on successful software testing and the consequences of influences that affect software testing. An explanation of why the framework needs a time perspective and other associated changes is provided. The details of the temporal perspective and the other relevant changes to the framework are described. The total decision support framework, with an integrated temporal perspective, is presented and discussed.
KeywordsTest Environment Software Testing Test Plan Test Manager Temporal Perspective
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alter, S.: Information systems: Foundation of e-business, 4th edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar
- Amitysoft, Vibrant trends in software testing (2006), http://www.amitysoft.com/press27.aspx (retrieved from the Amitysoft Technologies website)
- Borysowich, C.: Testing: A Sample Test Plan. Toolbox.com. (2005), http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/enterprise-solutions/testing-a-sample-test-plan-3283 (February 24, 2005)
- Gelperin, D., Hetzel, B.: The Growth of Software Testing. Special Edition. Communications of the ACM 31(6) (June 1988); The need for and potential growth needed is the software testing industry has long been recognizedGoogle Scholar
- Harris, R.: Introduction to decision making (2009), http://www.virtualsalt.com/crebook5.html (retrieved from the VirtualSalt website)
- Infiniti Research Limited. Global Software Testing Services Market 2010-2014, pages 23 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. IEEE standard for software and system test documentation (IEEE Std 829-2008) (2008), doi: 10.1109/IEEESTD.2008.4578383Google Scholar
- Larkman, D., Mohammadian, M., Balachandran, B., Jentzsch, R.: General Application of a Decision Support Framework for Software Testing Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques. In: Phillips-Wren, G., Jain, L.C., Nakamatsu, K., Howlett, R.J. (eds.) IDT 2010. SIST, vol. 4, pp. 53–63. Springer, Heidelberg (2010), doi:10.1007/978-3-642-14616-9_5Google Scholar
- Larkman, D., Mohammadian, M., Balachandran, B., Jentzsch, R.: Fuzzy Cognitive Map for Software Testing Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques. In: Papadopoulos, H., Andreou, A.S., Bramer, M. (eds.) AIAI 2010. IFIP AICT, vol. 339, pp. 328–335. Springer, Heidelberg (2010), doi:10.1007/978-3-642-16239-8_43Google Scholar
- Larkman, D., Jentzsch, R., Mohammadian, M.: Software testing – factor contribution analysis in a decision support framework. In: Watada, J., Phillips-Wren, G., Jain, L.C., Howlett, R.J. (eds.) IDT 2011. SIST, vol. 10, pp. 897–905. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, The economic impacts of inadequate infrastructure for software testing (Planning report 02-3) (2002), http://www.nist.gov/director/planning/upload/report02-3.pdf (retrieved)
- Physorg.com (2009), Software testing market resilient despite crisis: Report, http://www.physorg.com/news155992141.html (retrieved)
- Lesnikov, S.: Software testing market will growth despite the crisis (March 12, 2009), http://software-testing-ukraine.blogspot.com/2009/03/software-testing-market-will-growth.html
- Rani, N.S.: Software test estimation – 9 general tips on how to estimate testing time accurately [Web log post] (2007), http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/software-test-estimation-how-to-estimate-testing-time-accurately/ (retrieved)