A Matheuristic Algorithm for a Large-Scale Energy Management Problem
The demand for electrical energy is globally growing very quickly. For this reason, the optimization of power plant productions and power plant maintenance scheduling have become important research topics. A Large Scale Energy Management (LSEM) problem is studied in this paper. Two types of power plants are considered: power plants of type 1 can be refueled while still operating. Power plants of type 2 need to be shut down from time to time, for refueling and ordinary maintenance (these are typically nuclear plants). Considering these two types of power plants, LSEM is the problem of optimizing production plans and scheduling of maintenances of type 2 plants, with the objective of keeping the production cost as low as possible, while fulfilling the customers demand. Uncertainty about the customers demand is taken into account in the model considered. In this article, a matheuristic optimization approach based on problem decomposition is proposed. The approach involves mixed integer linear programming and simulated annealing optimization methods. Computational results on some realistic instances are presented.
KeywordsPower Plant Mixed Integer Linear Programming Customer Demand Feasible Schedule Maintenance Schedule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahmad, A., Kothari, D.P.: A practical model for generator maintenance scheduling with transmission constraints. Electric Power Components and Systems 28, 501–513 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Anghinolfi, D., Gambardella, L.M., Montemanni, R., Nattero, C., Paolucci, M., Toklu, N.E.: Addendum to: A matheuristic algorithm for a large-scale energy management problem (February 2011), http://www.idsia.ch/~roberto/roadef_addendum.pdf
- 8.Montemanni, R., Mahdabi, P.: A linear programming-based evolutionary algorithm for the minimum power broadcast problem in wireless sensor networks. Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms 10(2), 145–162 (2011), http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10852-010-9146-9 MathSciNetMATHCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Porcheron, M., Gorge, A., Juan, O., Simovic, T., Dereu, G.: Challenge ROADEF/EURO 2010: A large-scale energy management problem with varied constraints. Tech. rep., Électricité de France (EDF) R&D (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.IBM ILOG CPLEX Solver (December 2010), http://www.cplex.com
- 11.Data instances of ROADEF/EURO 2010 challenge (July 2010), http://challenge.roadef.org/2010/instances.en.htm
- 12.Results of the ROADEF/EURO 2010 challenge (December 2010), http://challenge.roadef.org/2010/result.en.htm