Change Management in e-Infrastructures to Support Service Level Agreements
Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are a common instrument for outlining the responsibility scope of collaborating organizations. They are indispensable for a wide range of industrial and business applications. However, until now SLAs did not receive much attention of the research organizations that are cooperating to provide a comprehensive and sustainable computing infrastructures or e-Infrastructures (eIS) to support the European scientific community. Since many eIS projects have left their development state and are now offering highly mature services, the IT service management aspect becomes relevant.
In this article we are concentrating on the inter-organizational change management process. At present, it is very common for eIS changes to be autonomously managed by the individual resource providers. Yet such changes can affect the overall eIS availability and thus have an impact on the SLA metrics, such as performance characteristics and quality of service. We introduce the problem field with the help of a case study. This case study outlines and compares the change management process defined by PRACE and LRZ, which is one of the PRACE eIS partners and resource providers. Our analysis shows, that each of the organizations adopts and follows distinct and incompatible operational model. Following that, we demonstrate how the UMM, a modeling method based on UML and developed by UN/CEFACT, can be applied for the design of inter-organizational change management process. The advantage of this approach is the ability to design both internal and inter-organizational processes with the help of uniform methods. An evaluation of the proposed technique and conclusion ends our article.
KeywordsChange Management SLA Maintenance e-Infrastructures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andonoff, E., Bouaziz, W., Hanachi, C.: Protocol management systems as a middleware for inter-organizational workflow coordination. IJCSA 4(2), 23–41 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Dietrich, J.: Nutzung von Modellierungssprachen und -methodologien standardisierter B2B-Architekturen für die Integration unternehmensinterner Geschäftsprozesse. Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universität Berlin (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.e-sciencetalk: Mapping the e-infrastructure landscape (November 2010), http://www.e-sciencetalk.org/briefings/EST-Briefing-15-Landscape-Newt.pdf
- 5.Grefen, P.W.P.J., Aberer, K., Hoffner, Y., Ludwig, H.: CrossFlow: Cross-Organizational Workflow Management in Dynamic Virtual Enterprises. Tech. Rep. CTIT Technical Report 00-05, University of Twente (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Hegering, H.G., Abeck, S., Neumair, B.: Integrated Management of Networked Systems - Concepts, Architectures and their Operational Application. Morgan Kaufmann (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Kallioranta, S.M., Vlosky, R.P.: Inter-organizational information and communication technology adoption in the business-to-business inferface. Tech. Rep. 84, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center (September 2008), http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/8F013DDA-9114-47C5-8BAC-71CEEA6BE0BF/53401/wp84.pdf
- 8.Knittl, S., Beronov, K.: E-infrastructure projects from a bavarian perspective: Potentials of standardization. In: eChallenges 2011, Florence, Italy (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Knittl, S., Brenner, M.: Towards a configuration management system for hybrid cloud deployments. In: 6th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Business-driven IT Management, BDIM 2011 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Nilsson, A.: Management of technochange in an interorganizational e-government project. In: 41st Hawaii International International Conference on Systems Science (HICSS-41 2008), Waikoloa, Big Island, HI, USA, p. 209 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.(OGC): ITIL V3 complete suite - Lifecycle Publication Suite. The Stationery Office Ltd. (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Schaaf, T., Hartmannstruber, N.: Change Management Prozessbeschreibung. LRZ-internal Process Documentation, Version 0.8 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 14.e SciDR: Toward a european e-infrastrucutre for e-science digital repositories - a report for the european commission. Tech. Rep. 2006 S88-092641, The Digital Archiving Consultancy Limited, Twickenham (2008), http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/e-scidr.pdf
- 15.Somborn, M.: Entwicklung eines Informationsmodelles als Grundlage für den PRACE Maintenance Announcement Service. Master’s thesis, Technische Universität München (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.UN/CEFACT: Un/cefact’s modeling methodology (umm): Umm meta model - foundation module version 1.0. Online, http://www.unece.org/cefact/umm/UMM_Foundation_Module.pdf