The Mako Robotic System for Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty
Robotic systems have been used in surgery since 1980, while the integration of robotic systems in orthopedic surgery began with the use of RoboDoc (Curexo Technology Corporation, Fremont, CA, USA) for the planning and performing of robotic-assisted total hip arthroplasty (THA) in 1992. The use of robotic technology has facilitated minimally invasive surgery in some cases, which has gained popularity in patients (Banks 2009). Another advantage of robotic surgery is the higher precision and accuracy compared to conventional techniques, which is of enormous importance especially in spinal surgery (Devito et al. 2010).
KeywordsRobotic System Tibial Component Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Robotic Technology Computer Navigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banks SA (2009) Haptic robotics enable a systems approach to design of a minimally invasive modular knee arthroplasty. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:23–27Google Scholar
- Bargar WL (2007) Robots in orthopaedic surgery: past, present, and future. Clinl Orthop Relat Res 463:31–36Google Scholar
- Berger RA, Nedeff DD, Barden RM et al (1999) Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Clinical experience at 6- to 10-year follow-up. Clin Orthop Relat Res 36750–60Google Scholar
- Coon TM (2009) Integrating robotic technology into the operating room. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:7–9Google Scholar
- Davies BL, Rodriguez y Baena FM, Barrett AR et al (2007) Robotic control in knee joint replacement surgery. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part H. J Eng Med 221:71–80Google Scholar
- Haaker RG, Wojciechowski M, Patzer P, Willburger RE, Senkal M, Engelhardt M (2006) Minimally invasive unicondylar knee placement with computer navigation. Orthopaede 34:1073–1079Google Scholar
- Hernigou P, Deschamps G (2004b) Posterior slope of the tibial implant and the outcome of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:506–511Google Scholar
- Sinha RK (2009) Outcomes of robotic arm-assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:20–22Google Scholar
- Swank ML, Alkire M, Conditt M, Lonner JH (2009) Technology and cost-effectiveness in knee arthroplasty: computer navigation and robotics. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:32–36Google Scholar