An Evidential Improvement for Gender Profiling
CCTV systems are broadly deployed in the present world. To ensure in-time reaction for intelligent surveillance, it is a fundamental task for real-world applications to determine the gender of people of interest. However, normal video algorithms for gender profiling (usually face profiling) have three drawbacks. First, the profiling result is always uncertain. Second, for a time-lasting gender profiling algorithm, the result is not stable. The degree of certainty usually varies, sometimes even to the extent that a male is classified as a female, and vice versa. Third, for a robust profiling result in cases were a person’s face is not visible, other features, such as body shape, are required. These algorithms may provide different recognition results - at the very least, they will provide different degrees of certainties. To overcome these problems, in this paper, we introduce an evidential approach that makes use of profiling results from multiple algorithms over a period of time. Experiments show that this approach does provide better results than single profiling results and classic fusion results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Liu, W., Miller, P., Ma, J., Yan, W.: Challenges of distributed intelligent surveillance system with heterogenous information. In: Procs. of QRASA, Pasadena, California, pp. 69–74 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ma, J., Liu, W., Miller, P.: Belief change with noisy sensing in the situation calculus. In: Procs. of UAI (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Ma, J., Liu, W., Miller, P., Yan, W.: Event composition with imperfect information for bus surveillance. In: Procs. of AVSS, pp. 382–387. IEEE Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Miller, P., Liu, W., Fowler, F., Zhou, H., Shen, J., Ma, J., Zhang, J., Yan, W., McLaughlin, K., Sezer, S.: Intelligent sensor information system for public transport: To safely go... In: Procs. of AVSS (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.ECIT Queen’s University of Belfast. Airport corridor surveillance (2010), http://www.csit.qub.ac.uk/Research/ResearchGroups/IntelligentSurveillanceSystems
- 10.Gardiner Security. Glasgow transforms bus security with ip video surveillance, http://www.ipusergroup.com/doc-upload/Gardiner-Glasgowbuses.pdf
- 11.Shafer, G.: A Mathematical Theory of Evidence. Princeton University Press (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.Smets, P.: Non-standard logics for automated reasoning. In: Smets, P., Mamdani, A., Dubois, D., Prade, H. (eds.) Belief Functions, pp. 253–286 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, H., Miller, P., Zhang, J., Collins, M., Wang, H.: Gender classification using facial and full body features. Technical Report, CSIT, Queen’s University Belfast, UK (2011)Google Scholar