Concepts and Proofs for Configuring PKCS#11
We have recently put forward several ideas of how to specify, model, and verify security APIs centered around the slogan ‘security APIs are also like programs’ and first-order linear time logic extended by past operators. We have developed these ideas based on an investigation of PKCS #11, a standard widely adopted in industry, and presented preliminary results at FAST’10. In this paper, we present several novel results about PKCS #11 that we have obtained based on the full implementation of this approach. In particular, this concerns an analysis of the ‘wrap with trusted feature’, a full analysis of which has been out of reach for the previous models. At the same time we provide concepts and terminology that connect to Bond and Clulow’s ‘Types of Intention’ and devise an informal method of configuring and understanding PKCS #11.
KeywordsSecurity Property Token Initialization Primary Attack Attribute Template Data Decryption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R.: Security Engineering. Wiley Publishing, Inc. (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Bond, M.: Understanding Security APIs. Ph.D. thesis. University of Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Bortolozzo, M., Centenaro, M., Focardi, R., Steel, G.: Attacking and fixing PKCS#11 security tokens. In: CCS 2010, pp. 260–269. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Delaune, S., Kremer, S., Steel, G.: Formal security analysis of PKCS#11 and proprietary extensions. Journal of Computer Security 18(6), 1211–1245 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Fröschle, S., Sommer, N.: When is a PKCS#11 configuration secure? Reports of SFB/TR 14 AVACS 82, SFB/TR 14 AVACS (to appear)Google Scholar
- 10.RSA Laboratories: PKCS#11: Cryptographic Token Interface Standard, vol. v2.30, Draft 4. RSA Security Inc. (July 2009)Google Scholar
- 11.SafeNet, Inc.: Attacking and fixing PKCS#11 security tokens : A response by SafeNet Inc., http://secgroup.ext.dsi.unive.it/pkcs11-security
- 12.Sommer, N.: Experiment-based Analysis of PKCS#11. Master’s thesis. University of Oldenburg (2009)Google Scholar