Qualitative and Quantitative Evaluation of Correlation Based Stereo Matching Algorithms
Accurate estimation of disparity is one of the most active research area in computer vision. In the last few decades numerous algorithms have been invented to find disparity precisely. However, these inventions throws problem in selecting most appropriate one for the required application. A detailed analysis is mandatory to solve this kind of problem. The main objective of this paper is to empirically evaluate a set of well known correlation based stereo matching algorithms. A qualitative and quantitative analysis results will be useful for selecting the most appropriate algorithm for the given application. The presented analysis is mainly focused on the evaluation of errors, robustness to change in illumination and the computation cost required for each algorithm.
KeywordsDisparity estimation stereo matching depth map computer vision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aschwanden, P., Guggenbuhl, W.: Experimental Results From A Comparative Study On Correlation Type Registration Algorithms. In: Förstner, W., Ruwiedel, S. (eds.) Robust Computer Vision, Wichmann, pp. 268–282 (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Hseu, H., Bhalerao, A., Wilson, R.: Image Matching Based on the Co-Occurrence Matrix. Technical Report. University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Faugeras, O., et al.: Qualitative And Quantitative Comparison of Some Area and Feature Based Stereo Algorithms. In: Förstner, W., Ruwiedel, S. (eds.) Robust Computer Vision, Wichmann, pp. 1–26 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Arsenio, A., Marques, J.S.: Performance Analysis and Characterization of Matching Algorithms. In: Proc. of the 5th International Symposium on Intelligent Robotic Systems, Stockholm, Sweden (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Sun, C.: Multi-Resolution Rectangular Sub Regioning Stereo Matching Using Fast Correlation And Dynamic Programming Techniques. CMIS Report No 98/246 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, K., Lu, J., Lafruit, G.: Cross-based local stereo matching using orthogonal integral images. IEEE Transaction on CSVT 19(7), 1073–1079 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Middlebury Stereo Vision, http://www.vision.middlebury.edu/stereo/