A Novel Way of Tracking People in an Indoor Area
Tracking people in an indoor area is a technically challenging problem, and has many interesting applications. One of the scenarios being, tracking customers in a big shopping mall. This real time location information can be used for a variety of needs. In this paper we present a novel way of achieving this by matching people based on the image of the lower part of their body (pant/leg and shoes). Our approach is novel in 2 ways: there are no per-customer costs i.e. nothing needs to be changed at the customer side. Also, as we use the image of lower part of the body, there should be potentially no privacy related issues, unlike face recognition.
KeywordsQuery Image Correct Match Foreground Pixel Database Size Match Accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A Vision for RFID: In-Store Consumer Observational Research, http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2117
- 2.OpenCV Implementation of SURF Feature Extraction, http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/cpp/feature_detection.html#surf
- 4.Kim, H., Sakamoto, R., Kitahara, I., Toriyama, T., Kogure, K.: Robust Foreground Segmentation from Color Video Sequences Using Background Subtraction with Multiple Thresholds. In: 1st Korea-Japan Workshop on Pattern Recognition (KJPR), pp. 188–193 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Rambabu, C., Woontack, W.: Robust and Accurate Segmentation of Moving Objects in Real-time Video. In: The 4th International Symposium on Ubiquitous VR, pp. 75–78 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Savvides, A., Han, C.C., Srivastava, M.B.: Dynamic Fine-grained Localization in Ad-Hoc Networks of Sensors. In: Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (Mobicom), Rome, Italy (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Y., Jia, X., Lee, H.: An Indoors Wireless Positioning System based on Wireless Local Area Network Infrastructure. In: The 6th International Symposium on Satellite Navigation Technology Including Mobile Positioning & Location Services (July 2003)Google Scholar