Column Generation for Multi-Matrix Blocking Problems
The blocking problem in railroad freight traffic is a tactical routing problem. The problem was modeled as an arc-based MIP in former publications. We reformulate the problem and introduce a new model. The modified objective function can be handled easier without loss of structural information. Nevertheless, real instances cannot be solved by standard algorithms. Therefore, we present a column generation approach. The model is reformulated in a path-based way. We exploit the new model structure in the pricing step. Sets of new paths for each relation are generated in polynomial time.
KeywordsColumn Generation Master Problem Feasible Path Restricted Master Problem Column Generation Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahuja, R. K., Jha, K. C. and Liu, J.:Solving Real-Life Railroad Blocking Problems.”, Interfaces, Vol. 37, Nr. 5, pp. 404-419 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Barnhart, C., Jin, H., and Vance, P. H. :Railroad Blocking: A Network Design Application. Operations Research, Vol. 48, Nr. 4, pp. 603-614.(2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Fuegenschuh, A., Homfeld H. and Schuelldorf, H.: Single Car Routing in Rail Freight Transport. Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings 09261, Leibniz-Zentrum Informatik, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Jin, H.: Designing robust railroad blocking plans. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Luebbecke, M., Desrosiers, J.: A Primer in Column Generation. Column Generation, GERAD, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Voll, R., Clausen, U.: A Blocking Model with Bundling Effects Respecting Multiple ODMatrices. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Experiments/Process/System Modeling/Simulation/Optimization, Athens (2011)Google Scholar