A tree search heuristic for the container retrieval problem
The problem of finding a sequence of crane moves in order to retrieve all containers from a block of container stacks in a predefined order with a minimum of crane move time is called the container retrieval problem. In this article, we describe a tree search heuristic based on a natural classification scheme of crane moves that is able to solve the container retrieval problem for typical problem dimensions in very short computation times. A comparison with the approach recently published by Lee and Lee (2010) shows that the heuristic is a very competitive method for solving the container retrieval problem. The mean crane move time for the tested problem instances could be reduced by 15.7 %, the average number of crane moves was reduced by 8.7 %, while the computation speed could be drastically improved from several hours to less than 10 seconds on average, the latter being especially important for the application in container terminals where the retrieval decisions have to be made in short periods of time.
KeywordsTree Search Container Terminal Short Computation Time Gantry Crane Tree Search Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Caserta M., Voß S., Sniedovich M.: Applying the corridor method to a blocks relocation problem. OR Spectrum (2009) doi: 10.1007/s00291-009-0176-5
- 2.Caserta M., Schwarze S., Voß S.: A new binary description of the blocks relocation problem and benefits in a look ahead heuristic. In: Proc. of the EvoCOP 2009, pp. 37-48. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Caserta M., Voß S.: Corridor selection and fine tuning for the corridor method. In: Proc. of the LION 2009, pp. 163-175. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Forster F., Bortfeldt A.: A heuristic for retrieving containers from a yard. Computers & Operations Research 39, 299–309 (2012, already available online)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee Y., Lee Y-J.: A heuristic for retrieving containers from a yard. Computers & Operations Research 37, 1139–1147 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Stopford M.: Maritime Economics. Routledge (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.UNCTAD Review of Maritime Transport (2010)Google Scholar