A Genetic Fuzzy Rules Learning Approach for Unseeded Segmentation in Echography
Clinical practice in echotomography often requires effective and time-efficient procedures for segmenting anatomical structures to take medical decisions for therapy and diagnosis. In this work we present a methodology for image segmentation in echography with the aim to assist the clinician in these delicate tasks. A generic segmentation algorithm, based on region evaluation by means of a fuzzy rules based inference system (FRBS), is refined in a fully unseeded segmentation algorithm. Rules composing knowledge base are learned with a genetic algorithm, by comparing computed segmentation with human expert segmentation. Generalization capabilities of the approach are assessed with a larger test set and over different applications: breast lesions, ovarian follicles and anesthetic detection during brachial anesthesia.
KeywordsMembership Function Cellular Automaton Fuzzy Rule Fuzzy Inference System Active Contour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, J.E.: Reducing Bias and Inefficiency in the Selection Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Genetic Algorithms and their Application, pp. 14–21. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale (1987)Google Scholar
- 2.Bocchi, L., Rogai, F.: Segmentation of Ultrasound Breast Images: Optimization of Algorithm Parameters. In: Di Chio, C., Cagnoni, S., Cotta, C., Ebner, M., Ekárt, A., Esparcia-Alcázar, A.I., Merelo, J.J., Neri, F., Preuss, M., Richter, H., Togelius, J., Yannakakis, G.N. (eds.) EvoApplications 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6624, pp. 163–172. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Caruana, R., Eshelman, L.: Representation and hidden bias II: Eliminating defining length bias in genetic search via shuffle crossover. In: Ridharan, N.S. (ed.) Proceedings of the 11th International Joint Conference on AI, pp. 750–755. Morgan Kaufmann (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Chizen, D., Pierson, R.: Global library of women’s medicine (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Cordón, O.: Genetic fuzzy systems: Evolutionary tuning and learning of fuzzy knowledge bases, vol. 19. World Scientific Pub. Co. Inc. (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Gritti, F., Giannotti, E., Nori, J., Bocchi, L.: Active contour segmentation for breast cancer detection using ultrasound images. In: II Congresso Nazionale di Bioingegneria (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Konouchine, V., Vezhnevets, V.: Interactive image colorization and recoloring based on coupled map lattices. Computer, 231–234 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Nicolae, M., Moraru, L., Onose, L.: Comparative approach for speckle reduction in medical ultrasound images. Romanian J. Biophys. 20(1), 13–21 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Vezhnevets, V., Konouchine, V.: GrowCut: Interactive multi-label ND image segmentation by cellular automata. In: Proc. of Graphicon, pp. 150–156. Citeseer (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Zadeh, L.A.: Outline of a New Approach to the Analysis of Complex Systems and Decision Processes. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-3 (January 1973)Google Scholar
- 15.Chi, Z., Yan, H., Pham, T.: Fuzzy Algorithms: With Applications to Image Processing and Pattern Recognition. World Scientific (1996)Google Scholar