Future Projections of Heat Waves in Greece. Extreme or Common Events?
The aim of this study is to analyze and quantify the future projections of heat waves in Greece. For this reason, specific climatic indices were used in the analysis, and concern percentile and absolute indices defined by the CCl/CLIVAR/JCOMM Expert Team (ET) on Climate Change Detection and Indices (ETCCDI). The future projections (SRES A1B) of these indices were carried out using six regional climate models from the ENSEMBLES project, concerning the near future 2031–2050 and the far future 2071–2100 compared to the reference period 1961–2000. The findings of this analysis are discussed against recent recorded heat waves in order to understand if such events are even more extreme or common in the future.
KeywordsHeat Wave Regional Climate Model Climatic Index Daily Minimum Temperature Warm Night
- Alexander LV, Zhang X, Peterson TC, Caesar J, Gleason B, Klein Tank AMG, Haylock M, Collins D, Trewin B, Rahimzadeh F, Tagipour A, Rupa Kumar K, Revadekar J, Griffiths G, Vincent L, Stephenson DB, Burn J, Aguilar E, Brunet M, Taylor M, New M, Zhai P, Rusticucci M, MVazquez-Aguirre JL (2006) Global observed changes in daily climate extremes of temperature and precipitation. J Geophys Res 111:D05109. doi: 10.1029/2005JD006290 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IPCC (2007) The physical science basis. Contribution of working group 1 to the fourth IPCC assessment report. Chapter 11 regional climate projections, IPCCGoogle Scholar
- Koppe C, Jendritzky G, Kovats S, Menne B (2004) Heat-waves: risks and responses, vol 2, Health and global environmental change. Regional Office for Europe, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- Matzarakis A, Mayer H (1991) The extreme heat wave in Athens in July 1987 from the point of view of human biometeorology. Atmos Environ 25B:203–211Google Scholar
- Nastos PT, Matzarakis A (2011) The effect of air temperature and human thermal indices on mortality in Athens. Theor Appl Climatol. doi: 10.1007/s00704-011-0555-0
- Theoharatos G, Pantavou K, Marakis A, Spanou A, Katavoutas G, Efstathiou P, Mpekas P, Asimakopoulos D (2010) Heat waves observed in 2007 in Athens, Greece: synoptic conditions, bioclimatological assessment, air quality levels and health effects. Environ Res 110:152–161. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2009.12.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar