A Framework for Realizing Artifact-Centric Business Processes in Service-Oriented Architecture
Over the past few years, the artifact-centric approach to workflow modeling has been beneficially evidenced for both academic and industrial researches. This approach not only provides a rich insight to key business data and their evolution through business processes, but also allows business and IT stakeholders to have a single unified view of the processes. There are several studies on the modeling and its theoretical aspects; however, the possible realization of this approach in a particular technology is still in its fancy stage. Recently, there exist proposals to achieve such realization by converting from artifact-centric model to activity-centric model that can be implemented on existing workflow management systems. We argue that this approach has several drawbacks as the transformation, which is unidirectional, poses loss of information. In this paper, we propose a framework for the realization of artifact-centric business processes in service-oriented architecture achieving a fully automated mechanism that can realize the artifact-centric model without performing model transformation. A comprehensive discussion and comparison of our framework and other existing works are also presented.
KeywordsBusiness Process Process Execution Business Process Model Process Instance Business Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bhattacharya, K., Hull, R., Su, J.: A data-centric design methodology for business processes. In: Handbook of Research on Business Process Modeling (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Cohn, D., Hull, R.: Business artifacts: A data-centric approach to modeling business operations and processes. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 32(3), 3–9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Narendra, N.C., Badr, Y., Thiran, P., Maamar, Z.: Towards a Unified Approach for Business Process Modeling Using Context-based Artifacts and Web Services. In: IEEE SCC 2009, pp. 332–339 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Hull, R., Kumar, B., Lieuwen, D., Patel-Schneider, P.F., Sahuguet, A., Varadarajan, S., Vyas, A.: Everything Personal, not Just Business: improving user Experience through Rule-Based Service Customization. In: Orlowska, M.E., Weerawarana, S., Papazoglou, M.P., Yang, J. (eds.) ICSOC 2003. LNCS, vol. 2910, pp. 149–164. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hull, R., Kumar, B., Lieuwen, D.F., Patel-Schneider, P.F., Sahuguet, A., Varadarajan, S., Vyas, A.: Enabling context-aware and privacy-conscious user data sharing. In: IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mobile Data Management, MDM (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Hollinsworth, D.: Workflow reference model. Technical report, Workflow Management Coalition, TC00-1003 (1994)Google Scholar
- 18.WebSphere Process Server, http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/wps/
- 19.BizAgi Business Process Management System, http://www.bizagi.com/
- 20.ActiveVOS Business Process Management System, http://www.activevos.com/
- 21.Drools Expert, http://www.jboss.org/drools/drools-expert.html