EPON’s Research on Transmission of Sampling Value in Process Level of Digital Substation
Non-conventional instrument transformers and optical fiber communication are utilized in secondary system of digital substation. Sampling value signals are transmitted to Merging Unit through proprietary links and Merging Unit transmits the signals to IED equipments by means of IEC 61850-9-1 or IEC 61850-9-2. Merging Unit consists of multiple communication interfaces, connecting voltage and current signals input from non-conventional instrument transformers. In this paper, Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON) is proposed to connect non-conventional instrument transformers with Merging Unit. Meanwhile, the definition of OLT-Merging Unit and ONU-Instrument Transformer is put forward. Under circumstance of synchronization between Merging Unit and non-conventional instrument transformer, TDMA scheme is adopted in transmission of sampling value and performance of such data transmission scheme is analyzed. The use of EPON for sampling value’s transmission is compatible with the Ethernet data transmission from Merging Unit to IED. Finally, the deployment of EPON in digital substation is suggested.
KeywordsTime Slot Optical Line Terminal Optical Network Unit Ethernet Passive Optical Network Ethernet Frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEC 61850 Ed1, Communication Networks and Systems in Substations, 14 Parts (2003-2005), http://www.iec.ch
- 2.Li, J.-H., Zheng, Y.-P., Gu, S.-D., Xu, L.: Application of Electronic Instrument Transformer in Digital Substation. Automation of Electric Power Systems 31(7), 94–98 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, J., Yuan, Z., Li, Y., Guo, Z.: A new method to realize the relay protection of AOCT following IEC61850. In: International Conference on Power System Technology, PowerCon 2006, Chongqing, October 22-26, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Yin, Z.-L., Liu, W.-S., Yang, Q.-X., Qin, Y.-L.: New Method for Implementing the Synchronizaion of Merging Unit According to the IEC 61850 Standard. Automation of Electric Power Systems 28(11), 57–61 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, H., He, J.H., Kilmek, A., Bo, Z.Q.: Design of a real-time substation communication system for integrated protection. In: 2008 IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition: Latin America, Bogota, August 13-15, pp. 1–5 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Yin, Z.L., Liu, W.S.: A novel FPGA-based method to design the merging unit following IEC 61850. In: 2004 International Conference on Power System Technology. PowerCon 2004, November 21-24, vol. 1 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, J., Li, K., Yang, H.: The design of a merging unit of electronic transformer based on arm. In: 42nd International Universities Power Engineering Conference, UPEC 2007, Brighton, September 4-6, pp. 712–716 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.802.3ah-2004 IEEE Standard for Information Technology- Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems- Local and Metropolitan Area Networks- Specific Requirements Part 3: Carrier Sense Multiple Access With Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications Amendment: Media Access Control Parameters, Physical Layers, and Management Parameters for Subscriber Access Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, Z., He, K., Li, K., Wang, H., Sun, D.: Hard Real-Time Communication Based on Shared Ethernet. In: 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, WiCOM 2008, Dalian, October 12-14, pp. 1–5 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.IEC 61588:2009(E) IEEE Standard for a precision clock synchronization protocol for networked measurement and control systems (2009)Google Scholar