Towards a Sociosemiotic WebAnalytics: Higher Education TEL Tools Handling Access and Information Extraction in Textually Complex Websites
This paper reports the first stages in the authors’ plans to build WebAnalytics a sociosemiotically-oriented websearch-and-webshare platform for Higher Education students. It incorporates a model of textuality based on minigenre theory in which linguistic structures are related to text structures in explicit ways. End-user perceptions of textual and linguistic tie-ups are explored in relation to the functions of search engines and annotations. As space precludes detailed reporting of our field investigations, the experimental tools used are described in relation to the theoretical foundations and the potential for improving their interoperability. In so doing, the paper puts forward an approach to software development that posits a step-by-step integration of existing tools as a way of enacting the planned platform.
KeywordsSearch Engine Word Group High Education Student Video Resource Film Archive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arizzi, C.: Living Room Candidate: A multimodal and cultural analysis of a web archive. In: Baldry, A., Montagna, E. (eds.) Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Multimodality. Campobasso, Palladino (in press)Google Scholar
- 2.Baldry, A.: Characterising Transitions in Identity in the Web: Multimodal Approaches and Methods. In: Vasta, N., Riem Natale, A., Bortoluzzi, M., Saidero, D. (eds.) Identities in Transition in the English-Speaking World, pp. 17–38. Forum, Udine (2011a)Google Scholar
- 3.Baldry, A.: Multimodal Web Genres: Exploring Scientific English. IBIS, Como (2011b)Google Scholar
- 4.Baldry, A., Gaggia, A., Porta, M.: Multimodal Web Concordancing and Annotation. An Overview of the MCAWEB System. In: Vasta, N., Natale, A.R., Bortoluzzi, M., Saidero, D. (eds.) Identities in Transition in the English-Speaking World, pp. 39–60. Forum, Udine (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Baldry, A., Thibault, P.J.: Multimodal Transcription and Text Analysis: A Multimodal Toolkit and Coursebook with Associated Online Course. Equinox Publishing, London (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Cambria, M.: Websearching and corpus construction of online news sites in ESP:Government leaders on show at G8 Summits. ESP Across Cultures 8 (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Marenzi, I., Zerr, S., Abel, F., Nejdl, W.: Social Sharing in LearnWeb2.0. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, IJCEELL 14(4, 5, 6) (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Halliday, M.A.K.: An Introduction to Functional Grammar, 2nd edn. Arnold, London (1985,1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Halliday, M.A.K., Hasan, R.: Cohesion in English. Longman, London (1976)Google Scholar
- 11.Halliday, M.A.K., Hasan, R.: Language, Context and Text: a social semiotic perspective. OUP, Oxford (1989)Google Scholar
- 12.Moreno Jáen, M.: A corpus-driven design of a test for assessing the ESL collocational competence of university students. International Journal of English Studies 7(2), 127–147 (2007)Google Scholar