Emotional Decision Making in Large Crowds
Currently it is widely recognised that emotions of people influence their decisions. In this paper the role of emotions in social decision making in large technically assisted crowds is investigated. For this a formal, computational model is proposed, which integrates existing neurological and cognitive theories of affective decision making. Based on this model several variants of a large scale crowd evacuation scenario with technically assisted agents were simulated. By analysis of the simulation results it was established that spread of emotions in a crowd increases resistance of agent groups to opinion changes and supports continuity of decision making in a group with technically assisted agents.
KeywordsInitial Trust Body Loop Personal Assistant Assisted Agent Large Crowd
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bosse, T., Jonker, C.M., Meij, L., van der Sharpanskykh, A., Treur, J.: Specification and Verification of Dynamics in Cognitive Agent Models. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology, IAT 2006, pp. 247–255. IEEE Computer Society Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Damasio, A.: The Feeling of What Happens. Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness. Harcourt Brace, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Eich, E., Kihlstrom, J.F., Bower, G.H., Forgas, J.P., Niedenthal, P.M.: Cognition and Emotion. Oxford University Press, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Janis, I., Mann, L.: Decision making: A psychological analysis of conflict, choice, and commitment. The Free Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 8.Kahneman, D., Slovic, P., Tversky, A.: Judgement under uncertainty - Heuristics and biases. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1981)Google Scholar
- 9.Lewin, K.: Group Decision and Social Change. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York (1958)Google Scholar
- 11.Ortony, A., Clore, G.L., Collins, A.: The Cognitive Structure of Emotions. Cambridge University Press (1988)Google Scholar
- 14.Steunebrink, B.R., Dastani, M., Meyer, J.-J.C.: A logic of emotions for intelligent agents. In: Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2007). AAAI Press, Menlo Park (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Web reference, http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo (last accessed on November 2010)